Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So. California EA82 Wheeler

JacksonRally

The fuel gauge wiring shouldn't be too hard if you have one from the impreza and the one from the GL. I think the Impreza is a two part gauge in series. I'm not sure about the GL.

I'll look at the diagrams and see what needs to be done. What year impreza and GL, again? I assume the GL was originally carbed? You might want to swap in the FI tank off of an EA82 since it has bigger ports and surge baffles.

If you have all the level sensors talked about above, could you measure the resistance of each in their max and min positions? I'll come up with a circuit to mimic the EJ stuff and you can hook it directly to the EA stuff... Kind of plug and play if you know where your wires all go.

The fuel gauge wiring shouldn't be too hard if you have one from the impreza and the one from the GL. I think the Impreza is a two part gauge in series. I'm not sure about the GL.

I'll look at the diagrams and see what needs to be done. What year impreza and GL, again? I assume the GL was originally carbed? You might want to swap in the FI tank off of an EA82 since it has bigger ports and surge baffles.

If you have all the level sensors talked about above, could you measure the resistance of each in their max and min positions? I'll come up with a circuit to mimic the EJ stuff and you can hook it directly to the EA stuff... Kind of plug and play if you know where your wires all go.

The Impreza harness is from a 01 RS. The GL is 87 and was fuel injected. I noticed the fuel pump wires are just hot and ground, so that is cake. But the rest goes to the tank sending unit and smog stuff. At this point I dont have any of the 01 smog stuff so I just want to figure out the fuel guage.

The Impreza harness is from a 01 RS. The GL is 87 and was fuel injected. I noticed the fuel pump wires are just hot and ground, so that is cake. But the rest goes to the tank sending unit and smog stuff. At this point I dont have any of the 01 smog stuff so I just want to figure out the fuel guage.

I plan on making a dummy box to plug the fuel tank temp/pressure/vent ecu wires into. It will be for a phase II EJ engine, so it should be the same for yours. I could combine those with the fuel level conversion once I know they work on my rig. I can make the fuel level converter adjustable so you can fine-tune it to make the gauge work right. Is this something you want to pursue (in the future)? You probably just want to get it running, for now...

I plan on making a dummy box to plug the fuel tank temp/pressure/vent ecu wires into. It will be for a phase II EJ engine, so it should be the same for yours. I could combine those with the fuel level conversion once I know they work on my rig. I can make the fuel level converter adjustable so you can fine-tune it to make the gauge work right. Is this something you want to pursue (in the future)? You probably just want to get it running, for now...

Yes please! I want to do it all and right the first time.

It sounds like I will still be able to get the car up and running with out the other stuff.....correct? I just need fuel pump. I know with out the rest I will have a CEL but that wiring will be easy to access. I tossed out my old carpet because it was pretty beat.

Punch list to get her up and running

*fill hole in firewall to finish hooking up a/c lines

*mount radiator and a/c condensor

*fabricate new duct work under dash

*do final lay in of wiring harness under dash

*make final wiring splices

Fire it up and see what I did wrong :D

Then I can more or less do final assembly

My goal is to go snow wheelin on January 1st!

Yeah, the fuel temp, pressure and vent codes won't throw it into limp mode. If you can't rev over 4500rpm you're most likely in limp mode and need to deal with another code... good luck. Oh, and get me those resistance readings, when you can.

Kanurys, do you have an online source to find some wiring info on my 01 harness? I went through the GL stuff before disconnecting the battery to log what the headlight, hi-beams, tail lights....etc but dont have that info on the 01 harness.

try this site: http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/Impreza/2001/

look at the bottom three pdf's...

As far as I know, the headlight relays are in the Main Fuse Box that is under the hood (the one you put in place of the EA82 coolant overflow reservoir). They're next to the A/C relay and the fan relays. You'd just need to hook the headlights to those and ground them... Or custom wire them up.

Edited by kanurys

Awesome, thanks for the link. Now I just need my 6 year old laptop to show me the goods! Its a little slow these days.

I really need to figure out whats up with some cut wires. There is a large flat wide blue plug with all of the wires cut (I would take a pic and show you but again my laptop is not letting me upload photos...yay). Im almost certain that they were for abs stuff but would like to know 100%.

I thought all abs connectors were either yellow or pink. Blue might be the junction between the dash harness and the rear chassis harness... anybody?

The plug is on driver side under dash. I think it maaaay be a interior dash harness to engine bay connection?

In other news I just ordered some Raychem adhesive lined heat shrink to give my headlight splices a good chance at surviving the elements. I also ordered some adhesive lined heat shrink end caps for items such as abs and airbag wiring. I am just going to cut off plugs and cap the loose ends. I am NOT going to pull all those wires through the harness to trim the fat. So these little end caps should be perfect.

that rings a bell

Pure genius!!! Ugghhh my memory must be on its way out. I just went back to page 13 of my thread and duh!!!! I did take out the abs stuff just from the engine bay. I think I just left that plug inside to keep remind myself what I did. HAHA that didnt work. Ok now thats solved. I hate working on a project for a year here and there.

Where will you put the computer? I was going to put mine on the floor in its stock position, i was convinced to put in up high in the dash above the glove box so I wouldn't dunk it if I got in the water...

Edited by kanurys

I managed to get a few cut wires all sealed up and tucked away. Mostly abs wheel speed senor wires and fog lights. They are sealed up with adhesive lined shrink caps and tucked away into the harness in case I need them for what ever reason on some rainy day. From there I figured it was time to see if I can sort out the wiring to the ignition. I am keeping the GL column and ignition key and using 01 light, blinker and wiper switch deal. First I removed the GL light, blinker and wiper switch assembly to see how I could mount the 01 stuff. I have the 01 column with the switches too. I removed the 01 stuff then cut the bracket off the 01 column to see what would work from there. It looks like I can drill some holes and bolt the 01 bracket to the GL column which has some threaded holes, this ended up working out perfect. Now to the ignition....the GL has 5 wires coming out of the cylinder and 5 going to the connector. The 01 stuff has 5 wires coming out of the cylinder and 4 going to the connector, so all Im going to do is join the wires on the GL to become a 4 wire connection and plug into the 01 harness. Im hoping to do this tomorrow to see if I can turn the key and see what comes to life. Im not ready to fire the motor, I just want to see if I have power...etc.

Nice work. The ignition stuff is really straight forward. I'd love to see pictures of the column switches you retrofitted.

Also, I just got a bunch of parts in the mail and am ready to make a fuel gauge converter if you have the resistance measurements. Was the rs25 a single or dual fuel level sender vehicle?

SK