Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So. California EA82 Wheeler

JacksonRally

Well its been a few weeks and I have not had any time to put into the car. I did get some parts in the other day. I got the hazard button and now I have hazards and blinkers! I got the rear defrost button and the illumination control unit. Now my gauge cluster lights up.....and who ever own it before me put red lights in it, might have to change those out later.

I have a rally car that I am building that is on a very tight schedule. Im hoping to get back to working on my car sometime in December. Not soon enough but gotta pay the bills.

Edited by JacksonRally
spellin

• 1 month later...
Ok back to the GL

Spent a day last week to get the lower radiator mounts done. I also tied in the existing skid plate frame to the factory frame rails which I boxed in.

uploadtophotobucket010_zps3c98fe6a.jpg

uploadtophotobucket009_zpsfc520874.jpg

uploadtophotobucket006_zps47c765ed.jpg

uploadtophotobucket011_zpseb998303.jpg

uploadtophotobucket007_zps7b70eca9.jpg

Pretty tight to the pulleys

uploadtophotobucket008_zps2591823c.jpg

I always love your work Keith :slobber:, but I also always wonder what your cars end up weighing :grin:

(actually i know you don't really put that much steel on, but referencing/comparing to my bumper and skid (135#) I just wonder ;)

:cool:

Thanks again for the comments. And copy away! Im here to share what Im doing to my car and if it works for others then go for it.

I originally started this project as a beat to fit paint to match type of project. I didnt want to stress about it. I build race cars, trucks and rally cars for a living and all of my work is TIG. So with the GL I planned on just MIG welding everything. At the time I was in a shop where there was a MIG cause all I have is a TIG. So back then I was MIGing everything. Now I am at my own place so its just the TIG. It is an old gray monster, Lincoln Idealarc TIG 300/300.

So just before Christmas I moved my shop to my house. I had to pack up all of the parts into the GL and trailer her home. About a week before I had a new windshield put in cause now the car was to sit outside again. No biggie, few good rains, few days go by and I decide to look inside the car for something and I have 2 huge puddles of water on the floorboards. YAY. I was so pissed I just closed the doors and walked away. Finally just yesterday I decided to see what was going on. Luckily it was not the windshield but I did find 2 little spots where I missed welding when I patched in the firewall for the new hvac unit. I sealed those up with silicone and we'll go from there.

Now I am at my own place so its just the TIG. It is an old gray monster, Lincoln Idealarc TIG 300/300.

Those Idealarcs used to be the hot ticket for small shops. Still a great CC power supply TIG welder.

I just sold my Airco heliwelder V (actually an ESAB 300 Squarewave all bells & whistles) with Bernard cooler. Before that had an Airco mdl 3A(Miller 300S).

My home main panel just doesn't have the ampacity for these older units & with everyone running their A/C the voltage droop wouldn't allow me to.:-\ So I ordered a Miller Dynasty 200 DX inverter TIG/stick. More in line with residential power in the suburbs.

Definitely like the cross frame radiator support you built there. Beefity!

I like it. That is exactly how my ECU sits, although it's just zip-tied in place. I still have to get the fuel tank codes to go away. I did some testing, but now that I started a new job, things are a bit busy. I'll let you know when I have success.

Yo G Ill shoot you an email or give you a call later. I will be in cell range later.

I managed to get most of the interior back together yesterday. I still have to make a bunch of stuff for the dash but the main part of the dash is in and had better stay in. I am sick of pulling that thing in and out. I have everything but 2 or 3 items tied up under the dash and DONE. The only thing I did not put in was the carpet. I pulled the carpet out of a doner car because mine was wasted and some cats pissed on it so I tossed that one too. Hopefully next weekend I can finalize the radiator and a/c condenser mounting. Then I can tidy up a few things and possibly try to fire the motor. Im trying to take a trip across the desert early March, we'll see....

PICT0920_zpscadf6895.jpg

PICT0921-1_zpscb11640b.jpg

And I promised a pic of the cup holder years ago but dont think I ever came through. Well here it is :clap:

PICT0923-3_zps9f581f68.jpg

Hey, it makes me happy.