Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So. California EA82 Wheeler

JacksonRally

Very nice hood latch, radiator & condenser mount setup you got there! What will you do for vitals protection? Expanded metal for the grill?

Or go for the 'Road Warrior' grill - many 1/4 x 1" horizontal steel flat stock bars on edge? ;) Just kidding of course.

Thank you. I have some 1/4 x 1/4 mesh that I will fasten to the .5'' tubes that run down in front of the condensor. I am still going to run the factory grill and little trim piece that goes under the headlights and grill. I am also going to buy a 8000lb winch hopefully sooner than later and build a bumper around that.

Awesome work,

Curious as to why you pushed the firewall foward on the spare tire area tho

Yeah what Subruise said, I installed the 2001 hvac unit under the dash and it was a bit larger than the 87 unit. Its plug and play with the 01 harness and I really, really want meaning full air conditioning.

Thank you. I have some 1/4 x 1/4 mesh that I will fasten to the .5'' tubes that run down in front of the condensor. I am still going to run the factory grill and little trim piece that goes under the headlights and grill. I am also going to buy a 8000lb winch hopefully sooner than later and build a bumper around that.

Good ideas! All it would take is an ironwood branch to ruin your trip off road. I have a 6000lb winch to add to my 87 GL front bumper. :cool:

What winch are you looking at that is 6000lb?

Already have this one:
http://http://www.harborfreight.com/6000-lb-off-road-vehicle-winch-with-automatic-load-holding-brake-68141.html

Will mount this winch to my SJR front bumper.
Feel that even with another 4" of lift & frame for divorced t-case, etc it will be enough. If it breaks then I'll consider another brand. They're pretty much all made on the "right" coast of the Pacific these days. :rolleyes: Edited by czny

I got my fuel pump in the mail. I had the option to order it with fittings for another $10 but only one of the 2 fittings they were including were correct. Plus they are just brass barb fittings with crush/sealing washers. I think today I will go into town and get the correct fittings. I need to toss my still complete exhaust y pipe on my brothers Foresters to get it to pass smog, once thats done I will cut them up and build my exhaust. Next go round he will need to find a set of cats.

I was driving my brothers Forester on Friday running around getting parts for the GL when 2 miles from my house the motor let go. Its had a rod knock on start up for some time now. 

Pulled motor out of Forester sunday morning.....now sits next to GL waiting to be finished also

uploadtophotobucket021_zps1056ddee.jpg

Got a little wiring sorted out for the headlights and other aux lighting. Im going to clean this up and make a weather resistant box for the wiring.

uploadtophotobucket022_zps3c819157.jpg

Is that really enough support (one bolt ber side on a round bar) for an off-road strut tower brace?  I've been minimally thinking of building one for my legacy, and if yours is stout enought that looks like a slick way to go, but I have reservations. 

Or is it a temp fit with reinforcements coming?

I was all ready to paint the new stuff the other day and realized I didnt have a hood latch any more. So I put off the paint a few hours and figured out how to mount the factory latch. It seems to work a little better than before :cool:

All painted

uploadtophotobucket019_zps00d53eb6.jpg

uploadtophotobucket020_zps3a7c763c.jpg

Edited by superu

Is that really enough support (one bolt ber side on a round bar) for an off-road strut tower brace?  I've been minimally thinking of building one for my legacy, and if yours is stout enought that looks like a slick way to go, but I have reservations. 

Or is it a temp fit with reinforcements coming?

If you look at where the spare used to go you can see a rusty piece of angle there, this is where I am going to tie in 2 more tubes to triangulate the whole deal. But its been in its current state for a few years.

Ahhhh yes its a great feeling knowing that she fired up. The motor seems sound, but got a idle issue. Threw 3 codes that have to do with manufacture set idle, air and fuel settings. It fires right up and hits 1500rpm then down to 200rpm then back up and down....etc. Eventually it dies. 

Short list to get it road worthy:

-front brakelines/bleed

-headlights

-skid plate

-tie rod ends/align

Its pretty darn close. But at the same time there is a laundry list of things to do to be trail ready.....it never ends

If you look at where the spare used to go you can see a rusty piece of angle there, this is where I am going to tie in 2 more tubes to triangulate the whole deal. But its been in its current state for a few years.

aaah, yes. gotcha.

Ugh, still not idling correctly. I need to check the signal from ecu to IACV but dont really know how. I do not have a voltmeter or the sweet skills to know what to check. I would like to get her road ready as we may be heading to Utah (.....Suparu.....) next month instead of Laughlin, NV. 

Edited by JacksonRally

OK attempting to upload video. It is a bit loud and annoying due to me using my cell phone and it having a crappy mic. Anywho here is what she is doing on idle/start up. It does not get any better when warmed up. And air intake is freaking loud and annoying.

Edited by JacksonRally