Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ball Joint Into A-Arm Help!

After fighting with rusty bolts, buying a pickel wrench (worth it), and getting grease everywhere I have hit a road block. I have the threads of the ball joint in the hole in the a arm. The rest of it is at an angle and wont slide all the way in. Ive tried jacking up the a arm to attempt to force it through. Nope. I have turned the knuckle with axle evey which way. Any suggestions? I am ready for bed, but the car is on stands outside and rain is coming. Want to go to sleep accomplished.

Edited by UI Vandal

use a long bar and place it from the front of the car over the control arm under the axle and butt it against the radius rod bushing.

push down on the bar and push the knuckle towards the car and the ball joint stud should fall in. this is my one-man technique.

I was replacing the P side ball joint (old one was shot). After buying a pickel fork removal went pretty easy. I followed Nug's pictorial. I got everything back together and got to the "Pry the A-arm down and slip the ball joint in." Just SLIP it in huh? I wish it was so simple for me! I was able to get the the tip of the ball joint in the A Arm but it looks like this (top to bottom: knuckle, ball joint, a arm):

|

\

------------

Part of the threaded portion is successfully in the hole of the a arm, it just wont fully seat itself. I tried jacking underneath the a arm and tapping the knuckle, but it just wont go all the way in. I didnt attempt to remove the a arm last night. It was already late and I have early days. When I get home today Ill get right to it (as long as it is not rainigng too hard).

Edited by UI Vandal

Sway bar is disconnected as well as steering linakge. Ill try the a arm thing this evening.

I also noticed my left rear axle seems to incorrect (outter joint is different, where it meets hub looks different, doesnt look flush at hub, that tire is almost seperated on the inside, but outside has good tread). Ill post pictures of that before I get back to working on the ball joint.