Ultimate Subaru Message Board

3at to 5-speed swap, what do i need?

well i have a complete (minus engine) 90+ loyale PB 4wd 5-speed wagon sittin in my driveway now.. should have everything i need for my 88 gl 3at pb 4wd wagon that is going to be converted :D

i'd like folks to chime in on what i need so i can make a list of what to take off the loyale.. cause once its gone, its gone.. it'll prolly go to another usmb member for reviving though :)

well, thanks for the offer Trogdor.. but this one was free.. lol everything.. and since its the wifes car, i figure the single range PB 4wd will be easier for her to figure out..

on the other hand, since you have the hookups i could use a brown PB shifter knob, and centerconsole piece with the shift boot in brown..

i'm short a flywheel and clutch on this car, but i have tons of ea82T setups layin around so will end up usin one of them.. i think its a bit beefier anyways..

The two cars in question both have

SPFI fuel injection.

Anybody care to comment on the compatibility of an ECU on an automatic tranny car vs a manual car?

I think they are the same and one needs a jumper wire to tell it that there is an automatic in play??

and

Has anybody ever heard of the neutral switch?

not the neutral safety switch

But the neutral switch in a manual transmission.??

BTW

He knows about the neutral saftey switch override.

for the trans crossmember, you will need to swap that with. its easiest to install the trans with the crossmember atatched. you will remove 2 bolts from the auto's frame, and use the LONGER bolts that came with the MT crossmember

swap driveshaft, rear diff

the turbo flywheel will fit the same, uses same clutch parts too. get some longer bolts if you dont have any with the flywheel, they use a finer thread than the standard 1.25

i believe its 1.00 thread, M 10. take an pld pressure plate boly with u for comparison

the 88 DOES NOT have a neutral switch, but the loyale does. it should be on the pedal box, but it will not be used on the 88.

you WILL have to bypass the auto's neutral safety, either jump a wire in the shifter harness, or simply go pushbutton from the fuse panel(or other 12 v source) to the spall prong on the back of the starter. that circuit is low amps, so a bug heavt duty"starter switch" is not necessary, just use a other purpose button, or the "horn switch" they sell at autozone

ah Donald, .....

This statement is false.

"the 88 DOES NOT have a neutral switch, but the loyale does. it should be on the pedal box, but it will not be used on the 88.

The neutral switch is not on the pedal box. You are speaking of the clutch switch. There is a bit of a difference.

The neutral switch is located on the transmission beside the speedometer cable connection.

It has nothing to do with the pedal box or the clutch switch.

The clutch switch you are talking about is to disable the starter until the clutch is pushed.

and

If you look closely you will see the neutral safety switch WAS addressed.

Your last suggestion is ludicrous for a car that does not have an ignition switch problem.

On the car with the Auto, you will need to run a jumper between 2 wires (yellow and a large black one I think.. would have to check) these two wires are located on a wiring clip that is located under the chifter trim panel in the center console.. There is no worry about ECU compatibility..

I did an 87 wagon 3AT to PB 4WD 5 speed in june.. Will be happy to advise as I am able.