Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel pump noise?

So, I'm fairly sure about this, my 92 loyale has a humming from the back, to me it sounds like the fuel pump, I have had built chevs in the past that have loud fuel pumps and it sounds alot like them! is this normal? it's not hesitating at all or any obvious fuel loss, should I replace it?:banghead:

Wanted: Pug 14" 4x140mm steelies or alloys with nuts.

The SPFI pumps tend to make a whirring noise when running. It's pretty much normal. Most of them do that. They can fail but it's rare. Mostly they either last till the end of the car or in some parts of the country folks have problems with the surge pot on the end rusting out if exposed to too much salt.

They are also VERY expensive for a direct-fit replacement. If you have to replace it there are a number of posts about some Ford F-150 pumps that will work as an alternative.

GD

Have a '91 Loyale and also a '93. Both have fuel pumps that are quite audible. The '93 had a bad pump when I got it. Sometimes It would start and other times it wouldn't. I ended up just getting another used one off of Craigslist. Seems someone is always parting out a Soob. They're easy to get and easy to change. Might just see how long it lasts and carry a spare?

• 2 months later...

The fuel pump on my '89 RX sounds like a mosquito (buzzing) after the car has been running for than 15 minutes, especially when it's hot out. It has done this off and on for a while so I'm not extremely worried, but if this is a sign of impending failure, I would like to take care of it.