Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My EJ22T swap.......and a few issues

Turbone

I appreciate your efforts to educate/help me, but I've done enough t-belts to know wtf I'm doing.

I would like to hear from the folks that have done EJ to EA engine swaps because there can be lots of issues with wiring and sensors. As far as I know, only one other person has done the EJ22T swap and its not running yet.

Telling me to check my timing is redundant.

cranksprocket-96at.jpg

2651309537_1e5752664a.jpg?v=0

Are you kidding me? That kind of post is not only redundant, it is actually insulting. And a turbo that will run without an O2 sensor... why would a turbo need input from an O2 sensor. And, why would you show a phase 2 EJ25 when discussing a phase 1 EJ22T? Nice...

Edited by Qman

yea, 02 sensor would probably be a good idea....but I don't think it would cause the condition you have.

only 3 things, I can think of, would cause it to fall on it's face like that. faulty knock sensor, pulling timing. faulty pressure sensor, sensing over-boost and cutting fuel. or insufficient fuel delivery. we know your fuel pump is rated for a fraction of the flow required for the engine, so I would wait to bash your head against the wall until you've solved that.

you don't really need to hold out for the 255. unless you plan on some pretty serious mods. stock is 150 (which is about 40gph). here's one that would work very well with the stock motor for much less than the walbro: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G3138/

I picked up a used 02 sensor from Qman tonight, I'll try that tomorrow. Dont think its the knock sensor as the timing is right on and advances when you hit the throttle. Now the pressure sensor is another thing. I have the ECU wired to my EA82T sensors, so I dont know if they are even compatible. I have some feelers out at legacycentral for the pressure sensor, but I would think they would be universal(?)

Qman also suggested looking at other brand fuel pumps, dont know why I was stuck on Walbro (all nasioc's fauly :rolleyes: ).

Ok, new 02 sensor is in and I got the pressure solenoid/valve in.

And it runs at boost now :banana:

The power is sooo much smoother than the EA82T was and when it hits boost, theres very little lag. I have it at 8lbs right now and it runs like the EA did at 12lbs.

To say the least, I'm stoked!

I do have a few bugs to work out, like it wants to idle at 1.5-2K right now.

And when it first starts up it knocks pretty good. It may just need to be run for a little bit. I did get a can of Seafoam to try, but if clears up I wont put it in.

Damn, I want to go back out and drive it some more :burnout:

Sweet! not having an 02 sensor must have been throwing it into limp mode as soon as it was hitting boost.

which EA82t sensors are you using? I'm curious about that. very interesting that that worked.....

Well according to a very smart mechanic I know, he said the 02 sensor does nothing under boost.

The sensor is actually the wastegate control valve, its the same part for the turbo Legacy and EA82T. Theres a pressure sensor thats needed and thats turbo Leg specific. Also, a solenoid valve and dropping resistor are needed.

Its all on a bracket, the same mounting area as the EA82T.

Seeing how I was using a MBC, I could do away with the WG valve.

I put 30mi on it this afternoon. It still has the high idle and I'm a little worried about the bottom end rattle when starting after its been sitting for a while.

I still have some minor issues with mine, stumbling upon takeoff, until about 3k then she comes alive. I discovered that the timing was off on the pass side by 3 cogs, dang i thought it had power before!, now idles quiet and smooth, stumbles on applying throttle until 3k then burning rubber, and seriously moving. I took off next to a Corvette today, and he couldn't get away from me, he quit trying at about 75mph! He gave me a serious look when we got to the next light, of course i was rumbling pretty good as i am running dual exhaust with twin cherry bombs that exit each side in front of the rear tires.

:Flame::burnout:

Is yours a N/A 2.2? You should be able to check the codes (if the light is hooked up, mine isnt yet).

And if you think your 2.2 is fast, you should sit shotgun in my 2.2T :eek:

I've given a few rides to some local friends and the look on their faces when it hits boost............... priceless :D

Hey,

I'll bet you are fast!

It is N/A with a turbo up fit already in progress. I gave my buddy that helped me put it in a ride for the first time today, he couldn't believe it was the same car. The only code it throws is an incorrect signal from temp sensor, and it only did that since i put a new sensor in. I'm a bit puzzled at the moment.

Well, it still has the high idle. I'm living with it right now, but I'll work on it this weekend when the weather dries out some. I suspect its the IAC and I have another one to go in.

The temp is no longer a issue, I have another fan installed in front of the rad and its running around 160-170 now.

Fuel supply is adequate at the moment. I hit fuel cut at 6.5k, thats more than I need to be going anyway :rolleyes:

I'm just having to much fun, I'm burning thru gas like crazy :-\

Considering the price of premium is over $3gal now, I'm going thru $10 a day.

Thats about 50mi a day.........and I'm really not going any where :-\

But I'm having fun doing it :D

The rattle at startup may be a bad oil filter. If the anti-drainback valve in the filter isn't sealing, the oil in the oil gallerys will drain back to the sump, so the oil pump has to re-prime and pump oil to fill all the gallerys in the block and head before it starts to build pressure. Not good, esp on a turbo car where the turbo depends on being floated on a film of high pressure oil.

Well, it still has the high idle. I'm living with it right now, but I'll work on it this weekend when the weather dries out some. I suspect its the IAC and I have another one to go in.

The temp is no longer a issue, I have another fan installed in front of the rad and its running around 160-170 now.

Fuel supply is adequate at the moment. I hit fuel cut at 6.5k, thats more than I need to be going anyway :rolleyes:

I'm just having to much fun, I'm burning thru gas like crazy :-\

Considering the price of premium is over $3gal now, I'm going thru $10 a day.

Thats about 50mi a day.........and I'm really not going any where :-\

But I'm having fun doing it :D

awesome! redline is 6500, so that fuel cut probably isn't even the pump.....Cool! on paper the EA82t pump would not be enough, glad to hear that's not the case in the reality. although I might look into a fuel pressure gauge to keep an eye on it. wouldn't want it to be running lean :eek:

• 1 month later...

Ok, had to pull the engine due to rough running and leaking oil out the HG's.

This is what I found on the passenger head camshaft.

cam.jpg

I put a new t-belt on it before the install and didnt notice anything wrong with it. But at least I have another head to replace it :rolleyes:

^

that pic, sure would cause the timing issue you were having. thats sucks to have a chunk out the cam, wonder how that occurred...

was i right in it was timing? well, you had it set right i know, but your running issue sounded dead on.

repair and be careful with the boost knob.

It did cause a timing issue, but it happened after I fixed a lot of other stuff and had it running good. I'm not sure how it happened, but I was on a 50mi run to a breakfast and wasnt being hard on it. It overheated right when I pulled into the parking lot and I filled it with a gal of water before hitting the road again.

It was running rough at idle, but fine when the boost kicked in. It got progressively worse and I parked it. That was almost a month ago. When I installed the new t-belt I didnt notice if the pulley was loose, I didnt remove it either.

I'm waiting on HG/intake gaskets right now, but in the meantime I'm doing my usual "cleaning" :brow: