Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"New" motorcycle

Well I will make a long story short. After 13 years of not having a motorcycle and whining very spring about it. I finally had the chance to buy one. Its nothing fancy but it is enough to get my feet wet again.

The wife is not happy about it, but she'll get over it like everything else...She is basically afraid for me more thne anything else..lots of her friends have died or have had bad accidents with one.

She needs some work but what do you want for a bike that has been sitting for a long time in a barn. Paid the guy $200 bucks, after confirming it runs off of starting fluid :grin:

Allready have her stripped down to the carbs.

Carb rebuild kit (four of them)...on the way

New seat cover...on the way

side "LTD" covers...on the way

Gas tank liner kit (KREEM)...on the way

Thanks E-bay.

The rest I can take care of here or head back to e-bay. So far total investment $400 (inlcuding purchase price)

The run down:

1982 Kawasaki KZ-550 LTD

(not fan of kawi, but who cares at this point)

11,344 original miles...farmer only used it to go to the house-barn-fields an back.

will keep posted of progress.

P4080004.jpg

P4080006.jpg

P4080010.jpg

P4080005.jpg

Nothing wrong here. Low budget,commuter bike. We had one of those LTD's but I think it was a 440? I'm constantly looking at bikes of reasonable price. Old Honda CB and CL's , Bridgestone 175's to 350's , Yamaha RD's , etc.,etc.. Something for my 6 - 8 minute work commute.

Good luck and be safe. We've all got the sad stories. Don't be one. I'm in the same boat as you,haven't ridden much at all in the last 10+ years. Something to do with my oldest being 12+ years old. :rolleyes: I think I gave up on any contemporary bikes a couple years after he was born.

And now I'm hunting early Interceptors and ????? :)

Comfy seat and riding position in that LTD. Much to be said for that being you're probably not getting any younger.

I have gotten a few 200 dollar bikes that sat for 10 years running by simply cleaning the carbs and using fresh gas and battery.

the bike wont run right without an airbox, and them sum***************es can be difficult to put back on.

make sure to flush the brake lines with clean fluid.

BE CAREFUL if you try to ride, because the front caliper may lock up if there is rust on the exposed piston or inside the caliper. i stress this because my suzuki 550 sumped me over trying to go from a stop with the hanging brake. it was enough for me to put the bike away, and i didnt ride again till my buddy handed me his ex500 ninja that he did a frame swap to, and i freaked out when i go for the rear brake and nothing was happening due to the mis-adjustments after swapping the wheels.

aside from all that, just have respect for the motorcycle, watch other traffic, use defensive driving and you will be safe. oh, and a helmet:)

dont forget to rebuilod or clean the petcock. i have seen insect carcasses packed inthe petcock on the last bike i got running.

Well to put every ones mind at ease...

I have been "riding" for 23 years now. Used to race (street and drag) and have a very safe track record. The story of why I "gave it up" is I almost got killed on a CBR 600 RR when my boys were real young. So I said ok, its cruisers from here on out. It has just taken me this long to get one. :grin:

I am boiling the tank out as we speak and then lining with the KREEM system..works great and have used it several times before. The petcock is allready soaking in carb cleaner and the screen is getting replaced. The carbs I am re building. New lines and misc stuff that will need to get replaced as I go along. Maintaince type stuff nothing elaborite.

Nice score for $200. Bikes of that era weren't the most fuel efficient, but man did they run forever. Should be pretty easy to find parts too.

the bike wont run right without an airbox, and them sum***************es can be difficult to put back on.

A few minutes with a hairdryer makes this task A LOT easier.

Will-

• 2 weeks later...

i had a 81 Gpz 550 for about 5 years till i got my zrx. loved that bike. mine was somewhat of a beater bike. but it seemed to put up with alot. got in a few minorish wrecks but used parts for those bikes are pretty easy to come buy.

congrats! have fun, and be safe :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got the carbs out. But am still waiting on parts for the engine and stuff, so I proceeded to KREEM and paint my tank. And do my seat. I also did a bunch of little stuff on the bike to bring it all back to snuff. Here are some more pics.

P4150027.jpg

P4150028.jpg

P4160005.jpg

P4160006.jpg

P4260019.jpg

P4260021.jpg

P4260022.jpg

This pic make the tank look totally green because of the flash....

P4260026.jpg

Flash off..Its a green/purple mirage color scheme...It changes according to what angle your are looking at it...the pics really don't do it justice. The clear coat went on a little too dry so I will re shoot a little "wetter" and see how that comes out. Then a fine cut and wax will bring it out to the fullest I think.

P4260030.jpg

P4260029.jpg

P4260033.jpg

Ok now on to the carbs :eek:

P4140022.jpg

Edited by Mugs