Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey, I just had a quick question about the fog lights on my 2000 OBW I recently purchased. I noticed a hole in the light and approximately 1 week later, after a huge snowstorm, that light doesn't work.

I know that I can just buy a new bulb and replace it, but I don't think I should since there is a hole in the cover anyways. In addition, I would like to just buy a new set of fog lights anyways.

1. Are replacing the fog lights very difficult?

2. Any recommedations for buying new fog lights?

3. Do local parts stores usually carry quality fog lights or do I need to order them from the Subaru dealership?

another option to consider?

1 - remove fog light from car and dry it out...

2 - replace the bulb

3 - cover both fog lights with StonGard shields.

these create a solid seal and keep further moisture out of the light (the moisture is what killed your bulb) - at the same time they protect the light from further rock damage. I have StonGard light shields on all of my Subaru's... stuff, works, great!!!! StonGard is a transparent adhesive material that does not affect the light output, but does protect the fog light itself from rock/debris damage....

see: StonGard light shields here

hope this helps.

Jamie

When I got my 97 OB, one foglight had a small 'bullet' hole in it (cratered to the inside). After finding out the replacement price, I decided to see if I could fix it. I took the housing out and laid it down on the glass. Then I put a dab of free flowing silicone in the 'crater' thru the bulb hole in the back. It's held for over 5 years now, even with higher wattage bulbs in there.

I did add some metal mesh grates with smaller holes in them to prevent future stone hits. It seems to have worked, but they are rusty now and look like crap. That StonGard stuff Jamie mentioned sounds good.

Commuter