Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '95 Legacy: Trashwagon10

TheLoyale

nice! I just get concerned if I ever need to fold the seats down for cargo.. however I was just going to do a single 10' sub with the amp mounted on it I guess.

If I really need to fold the seats down for a payload, I can always unbolt and unplug the Box as it has Quick connects for the wires.

I also don't have an AMP.

Im sad when I totaled my car my JDM headlights got smashed they are 1000X better then stock.. Once I'm done and get the passenger side back in alignment so that the headlight fits right so I can put the grill in I will start doing the lights

Monday im just going to bust out the BFH to the inner radiator support.

you think it puts out less light output because a reflector fluted lens like the stock USDM Legacy the light scatters which makes it look brighter but it's not (creates lots of glare)

my JDM headlights I made a LHD shield , I can't wait till I'm done with all this engine work since I want to buy another pair in put in some FX projectors which should really be nice.

you think it puts out less light output because a reflector fluted lens like the stock USDM Legacy the light scatters which makes it look brighter but it's not (creates lots of glare)

I am going to link to this article again, because it expalins exactly what you are talking about, and apparently it wasn't read in his other theard when I linked to it, or else he would understand why a projector lens does not hinder light output at all, but helps it :rolleyes:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

I will quote the important part of the article that relates to this thread for fun as well:

The most dangerous part of the attempt to "retrofit" Xenon headlamps (HID's) is that sometimes you get a deceptive and illusory "improvement" in the performance of the headlamp. The performance of the headlamp is perceived to be "better" because of the much higher level of foreground lighting (on the road immediately in front of the car). However, the beam patterns produced by this kind of "conversion" virtually always give less distance light, and often an alarming lack of light where there's meant to be a relative maximum in light intensity. The result is the illusion that you can see better than you actually can, and that's not safe.

It's tricky to judge headlamp beam performance without a lot of knowledge, a lot of training and a lot of special equipment, because subjective perceptions are very misleading. Having a lot of strong light in the foreground, that is on the road close to the car and out to the sides, is very comforting and reliably produces a strong impression of "good headlights". The problem is that not only is foreground lighting of decidedly secondary importance when travelling much above 30 mph, but having a very strong pool of light close to the car causes your pupils to close down, worsening your distance vision...all the while giving you this false sense of security. This is to say nothing of the massive amounts of glare to other road users and backdazzle to you, the driver, that results from these "retrofits".

The last paragraph is the really important part of the quote, the first part is just for good reference, and to drive a point home ;) Projector lens' shoot the light out farther in front of you and in a more direct light pattern giving you improved night vision, not hindered.

Edited by eulogious

yep it sucks so bad when it's raining out and I have them riding my tail plus the 6000+ K HID's

it's amazing how far down the road I could see reflector signs and that was just modding the stock JDM projector so it would be LHD..

I can't wait to do the proper retrofit

Next up will be JDM Tail lights I think, just waiting to find a set on ebay that don't have a $95 Shipping-Charge from Hong Kong.

I am also going to replace Cam and Crank seals along with Valve cover seals and groumets in the coming week or so.

"The thread that never ends"

the JDM tails clears up the rear so nice Im still pissed somehow my ************ing deep sockets went missing so I was unable to pull my damn JDM tails off the car when it got totaled..

now I have to rebuy all that chit over again.. and like you said it's a ripoff for shipping.

Damn, now I was a set!! Maybe I'll just have to drop the money and do it.

But not until I get this thing to stop pissing oil and running right again with a new O2 sensor.

Why does Japan always get the better stuff and the crap is handed to the USDM and EDM? Lol.

hah I was in the works of custom LED turn signals.. I'm hoping that guy in NY that had the JDM tails can still get me a good price since I was so close i did not have to pay the huge shipping.. they did come in a rather large size box about 20 some lbs.

the funny thing was it was a pain to get the old stuff out.. I remember snapping the center garnish in half trying to break the seal. Only thing left over is the drivers side taillight which I still have in my living room today.

I got as far as mounting some SSC P7 LED's for the reverse lights but I blew the driver which was also like $40 I plan on running something brighter then 900 lm. But with it being so close to being fall I might not worry about the taillights till early next year.