Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '95 Legacy: Trashwagon10

TheLoyale

Good job on the timing belt, Tom. I really want to tackle the job myself on the Outback. Don't have a good picture writeup handy, do you?

I don't have a write-up, I could make one if I ever have a day where I think clear enough.

A tip to you with getting the driver side on, is remove the lower tensioner (Its a sprocket) that will allow you enough slack to get the belt over the cam sprocket, that it like the only way to do it, even if you take the hydro tensioner out all the way, you still can't get the belt over the cam sprocket.

I do have a video talking about what I have just said. I will post it in here for you.

ALSO, use those Black binder clips to hold the belt on the cam pully, it will keep them from turning and keep the belt in place.

Jon,

A Runabout is what we call the EA82 coupe when its not an RX. Seems to fit.

Thanks. I have an utter noob when it comes to timing belt jobs. Do the cam gears move when tension is removed? Does the motor need to be retimed? Or do I just take the old belt off and throw the new one on?

All you have to do with the EJ engines is, Take the belt off, turn the crank until the timing mark on it is straight up, then turn both cams so their timing marks are straight up (There is a dot on each cam sprocket and there is also a dot on the crank gear (Not the pully) As long as you make sure everything is pointing straight up while putting the belt on, you will be good.

And yes, the cam sprockets will turn pretty easy without the belt on them, so be careful.

Let me find you that video.

• 2 weeks later...
nice they should of came factory... I got yelled at by a driver why doing a video in my car and you can hear him say "use your signal" and in my video you can see my signal was flashing before I pulled up to the stop sign heh.

LAMO! I will have to check that out.

you can hear the guy around 1:02 haha

What a wongleflute. Haha!

So, I am wondering if that clunk is either the carrier bearing or the rear diff bushing. If the rear diff bushing wears out it will clunk just like that during the same type of movents.

GL blinkers are worse... They're so hidden in the front bumper there's absolutely no way you could see it from the side. I always think about that when I'm turning...

The '85-'86 GLs were better, the blinker was more flush with the bumper vs the new bumper where they are sunken in.

You could rig the orange part of your corner light to flash with the blinkers.

The '85-'86 GLs were better, the blinker was more flush with the bumper vs the new bumper where they are sunken in.

You could rig the orange part of your corner light to flash with the blinkers.

I'm gonna put a dual filament bulb in there and just plain ditch the blinkers when I do a front bumper build.

What a wongleflute. Haha!

So, I am wondering if that clunk is either the carrier bearing or the rear diff bushing. If the rear diff bushing wears out it will clunk just like that during the same type of movents.

Well here is what i figured out..

Sorry for my friend's dog barking lol she hates other dogs lol

Well here is what i figured out..

Sorry for my friend's dog barking lol she hates other dogs lol

Backlash is off huh, so what does that mean? Never had to deal with any of that or look it up. But yeah, that does sound like the noise ;)

Ah ok.

OH thats right! I totally forgot the car is umm, F**ked. Damn that sucks now that I think of it again.

Interesting that when it happened my clutch stuck to the floor and the car was stuck in 1st gear I don't think its any good anymore other then the sound when letting off the throttle I had no problems with it.

I will be bringing home a 97 outback in a few days so I will have my first hand look of having to open the transmission :D Should be fun I kinda miss working on the Subaru.

Interesting that when it happened my clutch stuck to the floor and the car was stuck in 1st gear I don't think its any good anymore other then the sound when letting off the throttle I had no problems with it.

I will be bringing home a 97 outback in a few days so I will have my first hand look of having to open the transmission :D Should be fun I kinda miss working on the Subaru.

'97 Outback, please tell me its a SOHC! :)