Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '95 Legacy: Trashwagon10

TheLoyale

Does your transmission currently work?

If it doesn't have any problems, I wouldn't mess with it other than just a fluid change.

It works fine, other then it holds gear a little longer when its cold, takes a little for it shift outta 2nd.

Trans-Tune is composed of 3 Petroleum bases, its basically a flush to remove varnish from the valves, bands etc..

It works fine, other then it holds gear a little longer when its cold, takes a little for it shift outta 2nd.

Trans-Tune is composed of 3 Petroleum bases, its basically a flush to remove varnish from the valves, bands etc..

But some of that varnish might be sealing it up and keeping it working... Maybe it's just that I'm afraid of automatic transmissions. But I get the feeling with them that if they work right, change the fluid and run it... maybe someone else will chime in and say fix something that's not broken...

But some of that varnish might be sealing it up and keeping it working... Maybe it's just that I'm afraid of automatic transmissions. But I get the feeling with them that if they work right, change the fluid and run it... maybe someone else will chime in and say fix something that's not broken...

The 4EAT is pretty robust, Pulled 2 Subarus with it (one from Chicago)

I was mainly thinking of running it through the trans on the Legacy before trying on my Landcruiser (Which downshifts a little hard at times)

It is a very robust transmission, the one in my Legacy has 242k miles on it and has outlived two engines.

The engine in it currently is seized, which is going to make it really special trying to replace.....

*Cough* Yeah, Torque Converter bolts are gonna be a PITA to get to. ;)

Tom, slow shifts when cold are perfectly normal on these cars - mine does it too.

the colder it is outside, the longer it takes to get it fully warmed up and shifting "normally"

I know it seems a bit odd - took a bit of getting used to when i first got the Lego - but from what everyone elses says, it is normal for the 4EAT to hold a gear longer when cold.

If i let the car sit and warm up for 5 mins or so in real cold weather, it seems to shift a little bit quicker than if I dont let it warm up as long. as in will hit 4th after 1.5 - 2 miles instead of 3 - 5 miles...

as long as it is shifting smoothly when it is fully warmed up, i wouldnt worry too much about it - mine will shift so smoothly you barely notice shift changes - more sound related than actual feel.

as for tranny additives tho - there is a Lucas product out there (trans X?) that is supposed to be quite good - was recommended to us for the old Taurus (and Moms old Sable - same vintage) when it was having shifting issues (didnt want to go into gear when cold - would take several seconds to a minute to actually engage!)

i used trans tune in the 00utback, made a difference, but you would/should wanna change the fluid/filter again after driving a bit as the crap it breaks up just moves to the filter.

That would be the plan. Although I ain't dropping the pan on the EJ22 (Crossmember is in the way)

That would be the plan. Although I ain't dropping the pan on the EJ22 (Crossmember is in the way)

is the filter internal on those? the '00 is external. i never dropped the pan or anything, just drained what i could, i think like 5-6 quarts came out or so. dumped in the trans tune and filled with ATF, then the car got Tboned like about a hundred miles later. but the tranny was acting pretty good in the interum.

is the filter internal on those? the '00 is external. i never dropped the pan or anything, just drained what i could, i think like 5-6 quarts came out or so. dumped in the trans tune and filled with ATF, then the car got Tboned like about a hundred miles later. but the tranny was acting pretty good in the interum.

Yes, internal. External didn't start till 2000 on all Subarus.

I always find it funny people want that stuff, I can't stand it. I just never got around to getting rid of it in my limited...

Is the trim in the Limited actually real wood? I have it on the window switches in my wagon and its just plastic with "wood" printed on it. Looks awful IMO. I always forget to grab some plain black ones when I'm at the junkyard though.

Is the trim in the Limited actually real wood? I have it on the window switches in my wagon and its just plastic with "wood" printed on it. Looks awful IMO. I always forget to grab some plain black ones when I'm at the junkyard though.

It's the same plastic crap of which you speak. I always forget to get it as well.

To be honest, the Limited designation doesn't really mean anything besides higher registration and probably insurance.

I don't have heated seats, mirrors, windshield. But other GT models DID have all those...

Scratch that, I need the passenger side rear switch bezel.

Fake wood is the sh*t :clap: (I used to hate it too though)

I don't think the rear got the wood trim. I really don't think my limited has it, although, I never ride in the back seat and haven't seen the car for a while.