Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '95 Legacy: Trashwagon10

TheLoyale

I am still trying to work up the initiative to re-boot my inner axle. I put a used boot on it two weeks ago and the replacement ripped in just a few days worth of driving.

Nice! :rolleyes:

Its ok, my axle boots were and still are only held on by Zip-ties, and one of my tie-rod end boots has a nice big rip in it. Who ever owned this car before wasa douch.

My Loyale is older and nothings ripped on it for god sake! :)

Your loyale is a trailer queen. I want to see you get it nice and dirty.

Still gotta get a dual range in that!!!:grin:

Outback looks good!!! Now it's much more like an Outback. Make sure you get an alignment!!! You might need camber bolts for the rear, but could probably get away without them. Great job!!

Let me pipe in for a second...

Gen 2 forester strut assemblies will lift a gen 1 OB. You might be able to use gen 2 FOR springs WITH THEIR (gen 2 FOR) tophats (they have a reducing coil diameter the gen 1 FOR spring doesn't have, thus OB tophats work with gen 1 FOR springs).

I think gen 2 FOR assemblies lift gen 1 OBs over an inch, whereas gen 1 FOR coils in OB struts will gain around 3/4 inch over OB suspension...

that's all... :)

Yes the OB is higher than the legacy b/c the strut shaft is longer, but the springs are the same (leg vs. OB)...

looking good tom.

I'm not sure if the 05 forester spring will raise my outback :confused:... its already higher than the average Legacy.

cant wait to see Before and after Pictures.:cool:

Very nice work man!!

But with things like this

2010_0716Test0042.jpg

Me thinks "you b@$#ard!!"

Power tools are a god-send which I am still lacking!

I've been wondering for a while if there's a good 1/2 drive electric inpact wrench, since I ain't got no air tools.. Is this corded or cordless? I think as not often as I do these bigger jobs, I'd be interested in a corded one...

What're your impressions of this tool?

Again, nice work on the lift and axle fixin'! I can't believe you ahve people throwing dual ranges trannies at you :slobber::slobber::slobber::slobber:

Shewt, put that in the leggo wagon and you'll have a well redone rig, although in the lighter loyale, might be a bit better.

cheers,

-mark-

Yeah I just got this thing a few months ago, I got it at Harbor freight and its awesome! Was only $50 - and yes its corded. I love this thing (A must have) I used hand tools during the entire strut swap though, I only used this for the spring compressors. :)

Thanks Mark.

its easy tom. i'v been driving standard since i got the XT6 back in 2007

once you get hang of it. you'll want nothing else :grin:

Agreed. My first car was a 4EAT 91 Legacy. I hated it! I knew right then that everything I owned had to be a manual tranny.

lol - did i stir up a bee's nest here, or what? :grin:

i didnt learn to drive a stick until like 10 yrs after i had my license - just could never get the hang of it with somebody watching me...

then one day i HAD to go to the store and the only car available was a 1976 Plymouth Valiant with a 3 on the tree - well, it was do or die time...been driving one ever since - even upped the ante a little and learned to drive big trucks! some of those can be complicated...

lol - did i stir up a bee's nest here, or what? :grin:

i didnt learn to drive a stick until like 10 yrs after i had my license - just could never get the hang of it with somebody watching me...

then one day i HAD to go to the store and the only car available was a 1976 Plymouth Valiant with a 3 on the tree - well, it was do or die time...been driving one ever since - even upped the ante a little and learned to drive big trucks! some of those can be complicated...

Eww, Valiant! Its like a Dart but worse! 3 on the tree is cool, We had a '78 Chevy C10 pickup with 3 on the tree (The young testing station guys didn't even know how to drive it, my dad had to for them LOL!)

duel01ji6.jpg

I like my 3AT for now, I'll prove to everyone on here that these Autos will make it to high milage! :grin:

Edited by TheLoyale

Eww, Valiant! Its like a Dart but worse! 3 on the tree is cool, We had a '78 Chevy C10 pickup with 3 on the tree (The young testing station guys didn't even know how to drive it, my dad had to for them LOL!)

duel01ji6.jpg

I like my 3AT for now, I'll prove to everyone on here that these Autos will make it to high milage! :grin:

OMG - that looks just like the one we had!! :lol: yes, it was a red 4 dr!! LOL

and that 3AT will only get high mileage if you drive it!! it isnt gonna do it sittin in the driveway! :Flame:

It's not about getting them to high mileage, it's the fact that if you want to have any fun with it on the trails, it's so much better, and more reliable with the dual range. You can do things and have more fun than you ever thought before!! 3AT will go many miles, it's just if you actually use the 4WD much, it will burn out the rear transfer clutches, then you will only have FWD, and the low end torque is terrible!!!! And all this is multiplied when you have bigger tires!! You have done a great job on your cars though!!!