Ultimate Subaru Message Board

requested! Pictures of the EA82t/TD04 Turbo

hyfly

Hi Guys,

I'm Stefan from the Netherlands and I own a '71 beetle with a EA82t engine.

I want to get myself a TD04 turbo to fit my engine. Does anyone has any comparison pictures of the ea82t and the TD04 turbo so I know how much work it is to replace the turbo.

Or is it bolt-on?

Cheers

Stefan

or you can drill a hole on the turbo to fit the ea & for the down pipe you'll need to use a 5 bolt flange [ATTACH]7606[/ATTACH]

I would suggest not drilling into the turbo, this can weaken it resulting in cracks.

How did you guys worked it out with the wastegate? Did you use an external or did you used the original and fitted different pipes to the TB?

cheers

There are a few different ways to do it. If you use a TD04 DP, the wastegate is all stock. Making a external wg is just overkill imo.

This was my first setup, Saab IC using some of the stock hoses and other stuff.

saabic.jpg

Then I got a WRC IC, installed a Spyder intake did a better job on the plumbing.

7925746e.jpg

Using a TD04 will also make fitting hoses difficult as theres little room to route them from the turbo. Its possible to rotate it a little, but then you run into problems with the wastegate actuator.

Thanks guys!

Thats what I meant by turning the turbo, the wastegate actuator has no use, so you could use an ext.wastegate.

here's my beetle,

Foto-AWLDG7B8.jpg

I have very little room left.

Stefan

Holy hell that is a sweet beetle :)

Hey guys,

I did a 1/4 sprint a couple of weeks ago.

I noticed that al the torque was gone after shifting for 2nd to 3rd, especially on higher revs.

What could be the problem? Injectors to small? inlet air to warm? turbo to small? Its running 170hp and 270nm at the moment.

What are the first conversions that have to be made when tuning a EA82T?

(I did an astonishing 16sec @ 130km/h.... :horse:)

I recently heard that the injectors from a 300zx will fit? whats the original flow from the ea82t injectors?)

cheers Stefan

Hey guys,

I did a 1/4 sprint a couple of weeks ago.

I noticed that al the torque was gone after shifting for 2nd to 3rd, especially on higher revs.

What could be the problem? Injectors to small? inlet air to warm? turbo to small? Its running 170hp and 270nm at the moment.

What are the first conversions that have to be made when tuning a EA82T?

(I did an astonishing 16sec @ 130km/h.... :horse:)

I recently heard that the injectors from a 300zx will fit? whats the original flow from the ea82t injectors?)

cheers Stefan

I know you've put a lot of work into that engine, but would it not be easier to cut your losses and run an EJ205 or something? You'd make 300hp easy. Probably shave 3 seconds at least off your quarter mile.

Cool ride Stefan, I'm runnin' a 1.8 T GL wagon, with some head work & Exh. mods. It was runnin' way lean @ about 12lbs. boost. It sticks in my mind that stock injectors run 200ccs or less, I had a set made that run 380ccs @ 45 psi. They bolted rite in, & work really well, I was able to drop the fuel pres. from 45-55 to 25-35, & the stock ECU is dealing with them nicely. No more lean at all, even & 14 psi boost. Check with Charley @ Osidetiger.com, & He'll make you up what ever flow you want. He shipped me the complete set up with all new hardware-hoses-seals-even wire ends W/ shrink tube & flow charts, to my door for just under $200.00. It has made the biggest performance difference of all my mods thus far. I've also built a built a Ghia, runnin a 2L. 914 engine W/ a turbo from a 2.3L T-bird, blowin' thru a pair of 40mm Delortos. I's a blast to drive. Love your Bug, keep up the good work. S.

@rxleone:

I know...came to the same conclusion after the 1/4mile....

But then I was looking to all the costs that I have to make for the conversion. (let say engine:1000$ tranny:500$ trannyconversionkit:1500$) the tranny conversion kit is a kit whats makes your wrx/sti transmission fits in your beetle.

So thats why I'm trying to get the EA82t running as smooth as possible.

@ Steve W.Hi Steve, thanks for your reply! Do you have any pics of the Ghia? :banana:

One question, why did you lowered your fuel pressure?

You new injectors flow 380cc/min so when you lower your pressure thats gonna be less right? I can buy 280cc/min injectors @ 45psi, that would do the same as your in 25/35psi I reckon :)

Did you ever do a Dyno session?

In the upcomming years I would love to stuff a wrx or sti engine up his rump roast, but first I want this one to run smooth. I might even add Mega-squirt, and I can re-use that on my 'new' engine. :)

cheers

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

I'm also one of the lucky dutch owners of a EA82T, but mine is where it belongs, in the front of a XT ;)

Anyway, these engines are very failure prone and everything needs to be spot on for it to run fast and long. The main issues are heat management (intercooler, oil cooler and large radiator, everything a stock EA82T doesn't have over here :rolleyes: and engine management, the injectors are too small and designed for 110hp engine, not 136hp, or 170hp for that matter. After that, keep up with the maintenance and you should be fine.

If I were you, I would put a standalone engine management in it, (probably megasquirt since it's cheap) and replace the injectors, or at the very least up the fuel pressure. Something else to look at is the fuel rails, especially when you're running at the limit of the injectors. The stock fuel rail is not very good at delivering fuel equally at all injectors, thus starving the passenger side head.

If you ever need help or anything with this engine, shoot me an email, I'm happy to help and quite knowledgeable if I may say so myself ;)

Succes ermee!

Hi Joost,

here you (and the other forum members) have a link regarding MegaSquirting the EA82T:

Mega Squirt

I already have a radiator 1,5 times the stock size (its from a VW t4 diesel), I have an oilcooler with fan in the front and I have a chargecooler for the cold air. So I hope cooling should be fine :)

On which of the dutch forums are you active?

cheers

Stefan

Hi Joost,

here you (and the other forum members) have a link regarding MegaSquirting the EA82T:

Mega Squirt

I already have a radiator 1,5 times the stock size (its from a VW t4 diesel), I have an oilcooler with fan in the front and I have a chargecooler for the cold air. So I hope cooling should be fine :)

On which of the dutch forums are you active?

cheers

Stefan

Sounds like you've got the cooling part covered then :)

I'm not on any of the dutch fora, little to no knowledge or interest in older subarus, so I tend to hang around here :)

I have an account on both subaru youngtimers forum and on SCN, but hardly ever use them. My accounts are JoostXT and Joostvdw I believe, but you're better off e-mailing me.

Keep me updated on the mega-squirt, I'm real tempted to do this myself one day.

Edited by joostvdw

I would just like to point out to anyone comparing hyfly's dyno plots to their own, his chart is improperly calibrated. Not trying to be a jerk, but the HP and torque curves are supposed to cross at 5252 RPM, that's just a mathematical result of the calculations... With a grain of salt is all I'm saying.

Hyfly, what fuel pressure are you running? The stock ecu expects about 35PSI, and the injectors are rated at that PSI to about 185cc. I suspect that simply bumping the fuel pressure with an adjustable rising-rate fuel pressure regulator would do the trick. Have it bump to 45PSI at redline and it will probably take care of any lean Air Fuel Ratios.

@carfreak:

So what are the mathematical calculated HP's? I know that the dyno tests are mostly not completely accurate. But even if I have 170hp I should not have powerloss so I knew that the dyno was wrong somewhere ;)

I'm running on 43 psi with the standard FP-regulator, thats what the gauge says.

@Joost

your forum name sounds familiair, I was on the S-Y forum aswell.

I keep you updated on the Mega-Squirt, search google about the KDFI system, is new, cheap but my source says that it is nog as stable as MS.

cheers!

• 2 years later...

Well guys, it has been a couple of years now but IT IS ONNN! (found this post by accident but I just wanted to let you know)

Fitted:

EA82t

TD04L

Mega squirt with launch control + Flatshift (antilag)

500CC injectors

FPR @ 45psi with custom manifold

Boost @ 0.8bar (12.5 PSI?)

Chargecooler (max inlet temps were 40* celc.)

Fuel: E85

The launch in the beginning sounds weird, wastegate spring is probably to weak.

have fun  :)

Edited by hyfly

Not gonna lie I thought you were crazy for sticking with an EA82T but then I saw the video and that little bug has some scoot in her.  But, I'd still source an EJ20 or 22 and then let the fun begin.

My reading may be off but is it running 120 HP?

Edited by O.C.D.

Hi O.C.D.,

thanks ;) with the old setup (original turbo etc.) I was running 170HP @ 7.5psi (for what a dynorun is worth) 

Now I am runnig the above mentioned setup on 12psi, so I hope to be around 200hp.

The EA82t is done for now, this is the max I am getting out of it.

Last year I bought a Ej20t and a porsche 911 gearbox to "let the fun begin" but I wanted this engine to run perfect so I could drive and start on the EJ project.

That is going to run around 300hp and I dont have to worry about my gearbox anymore.

cheers, Stefan

• 2 months later...

Small update:

Running 20PSI now.....this is insane!

Much much smoother spool @20psi with the TD04, engine runs better when boosting.

IAT is steady at 40* celcius.

As long as it lasts, I am planning on a dynorun soon....

to be contiued  :)

Small update:

Running 20PSI now.....this is insane!

Much much smoother spool @20psi with the TD04, engine runs better when boosting.

IAT is steady at 40* celcius.

As long as it lasts, I am planning on a dynorun soon....

to be contiued  :)

Are you running an EA82T on 20PSI?

Dude...you are either very brave or completely insane...or both? :D