Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1987 Wagon in Ft C

...with 57k miles on it. Pics look good, the guy seems to be pretty decent. He wants $1850 for it. I make the assumption that the price is good assuming the car checks out; what should I look for? He says he drives it from Ft Collins to Casper all the time with no worries...

I guess I'm also kind of begging folks in the area to give me a shot at it, I've been without a Scooby since February, and I'm jonesing.

Thanks for the input!

James

Sounds good, check for the rust of course check the fluids make sure they are normal, (i.e. no flakes) check the 4x4 goes in good, check the clutch and if its doesn't release til the end it'll need a new one soon (which is a good way to talk them down off the price) and just take it for a test make sure no noises come up ;). other than that I can't think of anything.... though I'm sure GD will have a list of reasons not to go with an ea82 ;p

Perhaps I'm paranoid, but at that price, I'd make sure my test drive included at least 20 miles of freeway driving just to be sure it doesn't overheat.

Bad head gaskets wouldn't prevent me buying a particular Soobie, but would definitely affect the price I'd be willing to pay. Seems that around here, lots of old Subarus get sold because of overheating issues, and not everybody is honest about it.

Good point, about overheating. That's what happened with my 98 Forester. Got from south Denver to Longmont, stopped for gas having noticed that the guy following me was using his windshield washers a lot. Come to the gas station, anti-f literally pouring off the bottom of the entire car. Sigh.

But I'm excited! :banana::banana::banana: I would be probably happier if it were an 82-84, but still, it's red and has 57k miles!

Hey hey, thanks for the heads-up! I'm going to Casper today to look at a green 1983 GL with a dual-range 5-speed that needs a clutch. Supposedly otherwise clean, pictures look pretty decent. It looks to be 1968 Pontiac green, but that's better than gray.

He claims that the throwout bearing is screaming, but only occasionally. How hard is a clutch on such a creature? Looks like it's about the same as a Beetle, but easier, because a cherry-picker could lift the engine out very easily and quickly... ?

There's also an 89 GL wagon (5-speed, big, red, push-button in the shifter for 4WD) here in town, the guy wants $1200 for it, but it's kinda rough. Not much rust, but it's got a bent bumper and RF fender. Brakes feel soft, and I know that I'm being pissey, but it was a smoker's car, and it's foul inside. It also has what I would think was lifter noise, but the guy is a 'certified Subaru mechanic,' and assures me that is just the 'Subaru Sound <tm>.' Even though he's a Rawlins native and the closest Sub dealer is 100 miles away in Laramie... Just seems shady.

Still bummed about missing out on a 57k mile Scooby, though. :\

Good luck with that GL. You do have to pull the engine to replace the clutch, but it's really easy in a Subaru.

I'm projecting my own values here, but I'd steer clear of the single range. In my mind, if I'm going with single range 4wd, I might as well just go AWD with a Legacy or Impreza. And definitely avoid a car that you feel is sketchy. They aren't that hard to find.

Dunno if you noticed, but the 87 GL I linked you has 81k miles. I know it's a bit further to drive, but if it's as solid as it looks in the pictures, it's well worth the effort. Like I said, I'll get a closer look at it and report back.

That would be awesome. SLC is only 4 1/2 hours, and that's not so bad. If you feel comfortable that it'd make the jaunt to beautiful, sunny Rawlins, 81K miles might be worth a repaint. Even if it does look like it was originally beige.

The paint kinda scared me, I'll be honest. But the interior looks pretty good, considering. I honestly don't think that there's a body shop in Rawlins. My work is good work, but I'll be glad when I have more seniority and can live a LITTLE closer to civilisation.

The 89 feels to me like it's hiding problems, and the guy rubs me the wrong way. The 4WD had a really shockingly strong grip, is it a full-posi rear or something? It sounded like my old 74 F350 4x4 when turning. I'm sure I could hear posi clutches moaning.

I'll snap some pics of the 83 if I can, and report back. I sincerely appreciate the guidance. I tend toward the optimistic in cars, and I usually pay for it.

J

Were you on pavement when you put the 89 in 4WD? Subies really don't like that. I'm not really knowledgeable on this, so ask around, but a locking diff in an EA is pretty unique and might just be worth getting the car for. I personally have never heard of a posi EA diff, but that doesn't mean there's no such thing. Most guys who off road heavily weld the rear diff and pull a half shaft when they're on the street.

I'm only slightly less a noob than yourself, so feel free to get more input. There are some incredibly knowledgeable people here on the board.

Still looking. The guy with the 83 GL has a weird work schedule, and since I can't technically tow it with my 94 4-cyl Nissan p-up, I have to run up to Casper with someone else, and that is complex.

Have you heard anything about that 89 in SLC?

Chap with the 92 Legacy says it's super clean, manual trans, FWD, go anywhere, anytime. But, I don't need another 2WD vehicle, so the search continues!

Thanks for the updates! With luck that 89 in SLC will be worth it, or the 83 DR wagon in Casper will.

So I finally got around to looking at the GL wagon here in SLC.

There's quite a bit wrong with it, but for the right price, maybe it's worth getting... I personally would go 4 or 5 hundred.

Oil was half a quart low and black as sin, but no water in it. Needed a jump pack to start the thing. Seems somebody left the park lights on and killed the battery, car wouldn't run without the jump pack, so the alternator is toast too. There's a problem with the hood latch, looks like the spring just needs put back on. I didn't feel like rolling on the ground, but the front DOJ boots are solid. If you're interested, I could go back in ratty clothes for a closer look.

Since it wouldn't run on its own, I didn't drive it at all. But bouncing on the car showed okay struts in back and the fronts are on the verge of gone. Has okay tires, but they're studded snow tires, I would change them before driving any great distance. I didn't feel any wobble or hear any clunks when I rocked the car sideways. I don't remember the exact mileage, but I'm thinking the ad was about 100k short.

The paint is a bad as it looks in the pictures, and there's rust in all the normal places, rear fender arches are rusted through in spots. Ski rack is pretty ratty. Dark tint on all the back windows is peeling. Headlights are cloudy and one had a rock chip in the middle. Mismatched wheels, has three of the blah steel wheels and two wagon spokes, but I have a pair of white spokes I'd be willing to give you if the fella I offered them to doesn't come through soon.

Windshield has a crack going most of the way across it. The driver's seat is pretty saggy, made me feel lop sided to sit in it. The stereo's been ripped out leaving a gaping hole in the center console. Aside from that, the interior is in good shape for the cars age.

On the bright side, Dood said he drove it from Ogden, a bad head gasket would make itself known in that distance. With the jump pack, it started right up and sounded healthy. Shifters both tight. Clutch and brake pedals both felt firm, but again, I didn't drive it.

If you were to buy it, you'd have to replace the alt and battery before even leaving the lot. Before leaving SLC, I myself would change the oil and the tires. But I saw nothing that makes me think it wouldn't make it to Rawlins.

Hit me up if you have any questions or you need help making it happen.

Hey, I really appreciate the scope-out. I've been inundated at work, but I think that this is a project that I don't really need. The 83 up in Casper is better than this, and other than the colour, it's the car I want. I just need to line up the timing of the owner and a ride up that way.

And now I'm looking at an 03 Forester XS. It has a manual, and climate control. Very ritzy stuff.

In the event that you're out this way, feel free to drop me a line and I'll buy the adult beverage of your choice.

James