Half doors

Uberoo

How to make half doors:

STEP 1: acquire donor doors

Step 2: mark your pattern on the doors

Step 3: cut out pattern

step 4: ???

step 5: go wheeling

I decided I was going to make some half doors for my Ea81 toy just for the summer..So I stole some from my parts car.The driver side is a bit dented but who cares?It just got cut up anyway.The passenger side is straight but it has aluminum siding riveted to the bottom to cure some rust.So Far I have only cut out the driver side.I may have cut a bit to much because I think the flat panel sealing the gap on the door is going to be like right on top of the latch mechanism.I probably will need to notch out the plate for clearance.oh well.Ive only gut the driver side door out because I ran out of cutting disks for my grinder,and I haven't gotten any more yet.I do have a question for those of you that have done this mod: How did you set up the opening mechanism? I was thinking of using the stock latch rod, then moving the plastic up enough to get a nut started on the bottom of the rod to hold it in place.Then put something on the rod to press down on.Also how did you get the latch to stay in the unlocked position? I was thinking simply welding the lock rod to the door skin in the unlocked position would work best,unless anyone has a better idea?

I might be able to get the doors finished up on sunday.Not sure though.saturday Im heading up to pull and save to round up some SFPI parts for the conversion..

Yeah. That Brat had been sitting in a field for 3 years facing east. I got it for free, lifted it and drove it from reno to shelton washington on the same oil that was in it.:grin: Needless to say, it BARELY made it back to reno. Tis no more though.,

• 5 weeks later...
does the sand spray you when you turn? that happens to me if i poke my head out the window :grin:

Not so much sand as much as rain and water. Driving through orwgon at 6am in a thunderstorm was an exciting voyage up to wcss.

I'm sorry Ive been slacking.Here is a pic of my half doors.I forgot to add cupholders in the doors so I will have to make some when I get the chance.I modified the factory linkage for the doors.To open them,simply press down on the linkage.

EDIT: my engine is pulled so the radiator,overflow tank etc are sitting on the seats.

post-18483-136027641583_thumb.jpg