Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 2.2L into 2001 Outback?

I am thinking about taking an engine from wrecked 1999 Impreza with 2.2L (37K miles) and putting it into a 2001 Outback with a blown 2.5L, which needs an engine.

Any problems with this swap?

Edited by etc

Low mileage is cool but there is a bit of novelty attached to it when speaking of older cars. I have better experience with average mileage engines that were regularly driven and maintained (harder to determine though). There's a theoretical side to older engines (cars) not being used often, driven much or sitting for long periods of time. Contaminants can sit for extended periods and gaskets/seals I don't think hold us as well either, can they dry out or...?

That being said I'd buy this one if it was needed $800 isn't a bad engine price for the range of vehicles this can be placed in.

Oh I'm sorry - you mean if it will actually work? Yes *this* (not most though) EJ22, if it is indeed a Phase II EJ22 will swap into a 2001 EJ25.

The transmission will be a different gear ratio most likely - probably a 4.11 while the other will be a 4.44. Transmissions will still likely be interchangeable though.

As for the engine most of the time (so i thought, read later) you'll need to swap the 01 timing components (cam sprockets and crank sprocket) onto the Ej22. Some have said you don't always have to or there are two different styles, but I haven't seen that yet personally. basically the timing is different so you want the existing ECU to "see" the same info as the original engine - just transfer the stuff over.

I'm pretty sure the 2.2 went to phase 2 in 99.

800 dollars for a good low mileage engine is a fair price based on what I found when looking for one myself. Just figure in all new belts since they are over 10 years old.

Has the owner or can you do a leak down test on the cylinders?