Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TONS of oil in intake- what else to check?

Hey guys... I'm no stranger to Subarus and bad PCV valves, but this one really takes the cake. I replaced my PCV valve with an OEM one a few months ago. Today I had the intake hose off and the inside of it is COATED with fresh oil; the bottom of the hose is covered in oily sludge. The bottom of the airbox has a puddle of oil in it. I had thought I was burning oil from an internal engine problem, now it definitely seems otherwise.

What else do I need to replace to keep the oil out of the intake system? This obviously isn't leftovers from before I did my PCV; it's fresh. Also, this car has the modified Loyale PCV system that doesn't allow the familiar clouds of smoke on hard turns. Any ideas?

150k. I thought if you had blowby exhaust would get out through the oil cap? Haven't had any of that happen, also haven't had any noticeable power loss or rough running. Just have had friends driving behind me tell me they see a puff of blue when I take off and shift gears.

Somehow a large quantity of blow-by gas is escaping past your rings. I would do a compression check to find out the condition of the rings. Then, if they are a little low, sealing the rings with a little oil and seeing if the pressure comes up. If that happens, I would suspect leaky rings allowing lots of blow-by, which contains lots of oil, and will trapped in the air filter, or airbox.

Or more simply, perhaps your PCV inlet hose (the one that connects to the PCV valve itself) is clogged or otherwise restricted? This would cause gases and pressure to build and back up the system, eventually causing oil to come out the entrance to the system - the airbox.