Ultimate Subaru Message Board

barn find EG33 RX BUILD

Hello everyone started my day out hangin with some friends one tells me of two wagons he saw in a barn in the middle of Bum ************ egypt i bite and decide to drive out to look at them shure enough 2 ea82 5sp D/R wagons so i go ask about them and the guy tells me he has 3 more...

Well curiosity got me and i asked where turns out he owns alot of land and they are on the other side of the feild hidden by apple bins. after some talking he lets me venture out to look at them this is what i found.

xxx.jpg

xrrxx.jpg

xrxrr.jpg

rx.jpg

rxrx.jpg

xrx.jpg

Yep... 1985 RX turbo sedan 5spd D/R LSD!!! rear disks and no motor its like it was waitnig for me to EJ it... :)

thats all for now i thnk this will be my build thread.

Rob

Edited by subaruguru

I agree JD just the other day i was at poor boys looking at some subies thinking of how sweet it would be to find a L.S.D. then today boom there it is im stoked im not worried about the wing and everything that said RX has faded away so it will be more of a sleeper until you see the rear panel "4WD TURBO"

I cant tell you how many times i have thought that i found something great and it turned out to be a turd someone swapped all the STD running gear parts onto :( but now my days of searching have paid up with about a month of work she will be on the road **crosses fingers** this one will be at WCSS12 along with the sedan my gf and i picked up today

Thanks Rob.

went to jerrys yesterday and i was thinking of running six lug with nice low pros when it gets to that point but he reminded me about a set of centerline raceing wheels i have for a toyota :) i will be turning the hubs down and redrilling them for toyota 4 lug and these bad boys will be on my RX.

Pics to follow

Rob.

OK so here is what i have come up with thus far as a build plan...

The EG33 is longer than the ea18T as we know so i want to save as much room as i can for the rad. i know and have been told the EA trans will not hold up for long with the 3.3 i planned to keep the stock trans in untell it popped or i found a lego trans but i have decided that if i use the lego trans right off the bat for one i will have a better choice for clutch kits and second without the adapter plate i will save 1/2 an inch or better.

I wont have any need for a D/R trans as i plan on this car being street only and with it not being a center diff lock trans im not to attached to it. i have been told i can swap the legacy rear diff ring gear into my LSD so it will match the trans and i will have a one peice drive line to get rid of one more weak link.

The wheels are posted above and the rotors will be turned down to fit the center hole and redrilled by BOSS for use on the RX.

Thanks Rob.

PS sorry for any typos running on E right now

Edited by subaruguru

The EA 5spd is just as strong as the EJ 5spd, that is to say they're equally weak. So, unless you're going for an ej one with a RA gearset or something like that, EA or EJ doesn't make a difference. Going 6 spd would be best, but that is expensive.

The clutch availability is the big one on the EA vs EJ tranny. You can get better clutch disks, but the pressure plate is the limiting point.

You will actually swap your lsd center section into whatever ratio diff you need. The pinion and ring stay with the diff housing, the center section gets swapped. Easy enough to do, possibly a little grinding on the case to get the carrier to fit through with the ring gear on it. That and checking the pattern and possibly moving shims from one side of the diff to the other. Not usually necesary but good to check.

Do you already have the EG33? An EZ30 would fit a lot better.

If you move the radiator forward, you can remove the hood latch and verticle brace and use hood pins at the corners. That opens up a lot of room to move the radiator up to the back of the grill and front bumper.

actually the EA trans will hold up longer, since it's FWD on the street, you'll loose traction before you put too much strain on the gears.

EJ bellhousings are deeper than EAs. that's why the adapter plate is needed. that won't save you any space in front.

2-piece driveshaft isn't a weak link. in fact, eliminating it, when you've got a 4WD car there already, is just a waste of money. just have the front half modified.

Ok that makes sence i should really not post when i am so tired i got to thinking the adapter plate was just to bolt the tranny up and compleatly forgot it moves the engine forward for a reson.

As for the tranny i want the awd so i will most likly use the legacy trans if the internals are = to the EA tranny i guess i will just need to be easy on it... but in the same light i will save money on a redrilled flywheel and adapter plate and i was under the impression the 2 peice drive line was weaker if not then i will just have the front piece modified.

Finaly the diff thats exactly what i was thinking i was just way to tired to try and go indepth.

thanks guys Rob.

Interesting... wanna see where this ends up :popcorn:

On the power note... isnt the SVX like 230 HP and a US WRX like 227?? So a EJ turbo and EG would be similar in power, I would assume the EJ would be lighter...

yea, that's about right.

an EG33 in a GC coupe will hang with stage 2 STis :eek: