Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Speaking of rust ...

nipper

I have been gettin 3 hours sleep everynight this week so please bare with me for the next week or so...

I only have surface rust. I am trying the color match (or whatever it is called in the all the autoparts stores). They have a rust killer. I used it under the battery of the Justy. There was minor rust. I sprayed it on and it did turn the rust black, as it is supposed to. It took longer then it sadi to dry but I never worry about that.

the justy has really really minor rust so it really doesnt justify the smallest can of POR15. Has anyone used this to stop rust, and has it worked. If it hasnt, i guess i'll bite the bullit. Only one little spot needs paiting to match the body, other spots are on the edges and wont be noticied.

nipper

Same here. POR15 was the first stuff I used of it's kind and I was impressed with the results. I did a truck frame and it came out Nice. But,it was very expensive.

I can't speak on the longevity of the product because I never seem to hang on to any vehicle for very long. But,I can say that it went on very nice and it hardend up the rusty areas.

Because of cost,the next frame I did,I used Rust Bullet. It didn't have as nice of a finished look as the POR15,but it seemed to do the trick on the rust.And,it cost half the price of the POR.

Now,I use a product called Zero Rust. It cost about $60 a gallon,and works as well as the Rust Bullet. If I only was going to buy a pint or a quart,I would probably go with the POR. It is a good product.

I've used non-POR15 stuff before, forget which brand but have since thrown the bottle away. It worked fine. It's been on my XT6 for about 5 years and held up fine as far as I know, though that car is a parts car now but still sits on my property.

Any bead on the justy gas mileage yet Nip?

• 1 month later...

Naval jelly is for rust removal, the converter paints convert the surface and encapsulate the rest. Converter paint works ok, lay it on in a few coats while it's still wet and follow the directions to the letter. I use it all the time.

It doesn't stop the rust, but it slows it down for a while. And that's most of what you can ask for out of a car in the northeast.

Naval jelly? It's basically phosphoric acid. Tell you what, get some of that in your eye, it'll make you see God.

I got some POR15 in my eye, too. Holy crap, that's even worse.

yes por15 in my eye around the halloween time, people thought i was turning goth. that stuff covered my eyes, fingernails, arms etc (covered me for 3 weeks til i scraped skin off) , i was goth from it...

but yea,,,,,,I have a sweatshirt i wore when applying por-15, that sweatshirt is caked in it, washed the sweatshirts about 50 times in hot with bleach since, still there. never sweathshirt be be same EVER.

now, my 85 brat, has por-15 pealing from the side wells, i didnt use the prep products. It peals on fresh, no rusted oem original paint 25 years old........

i can peel place like as if peeling sunburn peel.

One weak place is rear wheel where rear bumper joins .....dirt collects in there. I don't know if it's easy to remove that rear bumper and clean up all and repaint everything. I think by doing that it could add a good 8years to the life of your sub even on snow belt areas... like here!

• 1 month later...