Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help!

My old timing belt broke, and I bought a replacement. I got the old one out of there, compressed the tensioner, put the new one on with all of the marks lining up. I tried to start it without the crank pulley or any accessories on to see if it would run and it wouldnt start. When I looked at the belt I noticed that the marks on the belt werent lined up with the marks on the pulleys any longer.

I tried a second time and got the same result. is it possible that my tensioner is bad? It pushes back out if I release the pressure holding it in, and it seems to be keeping the belt pretty tight.

I need some help from anybody whom may have run into this problem before.

Thanks!

1) IT's normal for the lines not to be aligned after even one rev of the belt.

2) Is this your first belt change? What marks did you use on the pulleys, Not the arrows I hope.

3) If you tried starting the car without the crankshaft pulley on, how is the crankshat sprocket being held in place? It's been a while since my last belt change, but I thing the pulley is what is holding the sprocket in place. If this sproket is not exactely where it should be, it wont trigger the crankshaft position sensor and the car will not start.

Hope this helps.

Do some searching on how to change the timing belt here on the site. Tons of info here and several writeups with pics.

Btw what year is the car?

You have to put the crank pulley back on before starting the engine otherwise the crank sprocket will "walk" on the crankshaft and damage the new belt.

Ok thanks for the help, I am using the wrong timing mark on the crankshaft I think, I was using the arrow, I guess I will have to search around here to see what I should be using. I did not know that the crank sprocket was held on by the pulley, I am glad it didnt start now!