Ultimate Subaru Message Board

27" general AT's?

AT's are worthless in this country.

27's will fit but you will have to bash and cut to an extreeme degree.

For the money, there is nothing finer for the NW conditions than the Interco Super Swamper.

If you want capability here in the NW - SSR's or TSL's (both come in a 27") and a 4" lift would be what you want. Don't waste your money on AT's - they suck in the mud here - the tread pattern isn't agressive enough and they don't self-clean. Basically they turn into slicks and are worthless. Plus they typically have weak side walls.

GD

That's why most of us don't drive the rig that has the MT's on it, or at least swap them out with some regular tires for daily driving on the street. The MT's do fine on wet pavement but any good amount of pavement driving wears them out quickly. In order for the investment to last, it's better to just swap them on when you are going off-road and then use something else for normal driving.

People who drive around on MT's on their daily are, by and large, posers. It's a waste of money.

AT's are a waste of money in this country. They suck off-road (too wet here), and they aren't good for wet pavement either - they are more expensive than regular radials and there's no benefits to them. I laugh at the Jeeps with gigantic ballon AT's and little tiny rims. Never a spec of dirt on them. Just posers.

GD

Exactly what GD said. I've got swampers i only run when i'm going wheeling other than that they just sit in a stack. Not to mention the horrible gas milleage they'll give you. My DD tires are BFG AT's they do good on ice and sand. Also some drier trails they'll do pretty good. Just my 2cents.

O ya i fit 29" swampers on a 1980 hatch with zero lift :grin::grin: It was cheap n' easy.

-cody

I'm actually going to be driving this thing in baja where there's zero mud. It's mostly gravel, beach sand, or super-fine dust(polvo they call it). I'll have to do some river crossings and lots of freeway miles too, especially just getting it there. So I need something that'll last on pavement.