Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 SPFI swap

Uberoo

If you are looking for more power out of an EA81,A weber carb or SPFI swap give the most bang for your buck.However, the weber gives a slight improvement in power,but where it really shines is run ability compared the hitachi carb.So it helps a bit.For power at all ranges go with the SPFI swap.I just finished my SPFI swap on my EA81 offroad toy.It seems to have more power than any other EA81 series vehicle that I have ever driven.It is lifted 2" and has 235/75/15 MT's on it.It is faster than the car when it had the stock carb and stock tires.It is even faster than my old 84 brat with a weber and stock tires.

Before the swap I had to slip the clutch a bit or give it lots of power to take off with those bigger tires.Now I can pull away like a normal person.

Weber: Far better run ability and tune ability over stock carb.Seems to give good low end grunt,decently cheap

SPFI : its in a different league when it comes to run ability.Makes good Power across the rev band,More expensive than weber,wiring.

My Ea81 Idles smoother than it has ever,and it has no problems at all reving to 8k.The stock carb couldn't put enough fuel in the engine to go much higher than 6K.

Other than that,Maybe a delta cam would help a fair bit...But for right now its got loads of power...

• 9 months later...
  • 7 years later...