Ultimate Subaru Message Board

W series Toyota trans adaptors

bill hincher

yeah, the only other thing I am thinking over is to clock the trans harder to the right, just on the 4wd set ups and lower the front drive shaft flange, that way you could raise the car higher and not put a bind in the front shaft

Please don't. The toyota tcase already hangs down like a sum***************. Even with a centered front-diff, it's nothing a good u-joint can't handle.

Good chance I'll buy one if you do a version with the pivot for the cable clutch.

well, the thought was, that if you gotta have a remote shifter anyway, why does it need to be clocked level?

clocking or indexing the transmission to the right wouldnt change how far it hung down very much but it would be a tremendous advantage to the front drive shaft rear u-jiont

I would make two seperate styles and keep the level setups on hand too

Ive been googling for some time now and my results are low....

im looking for what dual stick design will work on the 85 t case. i wanna get it ordered up cause i have a design to get it all working electronically

im being thrown off by the J pattern if i can get a back and fourth movement i can get it going within a month by wire if not ill need manual linkage

please let me know

thanks bill

im looking for what dual stick design will work on the 85 t case. i wanna get it ordered up cause i have a design to get it all working electronically

im being thrown off by the J pattern if i can get a back and fourth movement i can get it going within a month by wire if not ill need manual linkage

please let me know

thanks bill

I dont understand this

please let me know

thanks bill

did you research it at all? Toyota transfer case configurations are about as common a discussion as you can find.

here's a good start

http://www.marlincrawler.com/transfer-case/shifter-parts/twin-stick-kit

well i guess never mind that then.. ill just rip into it when i get garage space.

and yes i searched i didnt find a specific part for my year so i asked this hotel internet is shotty too most pages dont load... like the link posted just wont load

EDIT: i got it to load but i dont know what top shift, top shift rotated assembly or bottom shift is.. anyways i was just aking bill the transmission master lol

ever find time to work on the relocater kit? Dave is moching something up so i can get it here to cali

Edited by True2Blue

naw, I built some tools and been working on a reverse starter C4 combination to the V 6 6G72 Mitsubishi engine this last week

6G72GMadapter64.jpg6G72GMadapter65.jpg6G72GMadapter66.jpg

6G72GMadapter67.jpg6G72GMadapter69.jpg6G72GMadapter70.jpg

I built a small die to add another bend in the flex plates at the mounting bolt area, notice the fit of the converter nose in the crankshaft coupler

6G72GMadapter71.jpg6G72GMadapter72.jpg6G72GMadapter73.jpg

this was a tight fit, it was a series of selected over counter parts that once bolted together everything fell into place

6G72GMadapter74.jpg6G72GMadapter75.jpg6G72GMadapter76.jpg

an inch is as good as a mile when you are in charge

6G72GMadapter77.jpg6G72GMadapter78.jpg6G72GMadapter79.jpg

I knew placing the starter would be the toughest part of the build, so I moved ot around many times before I decided on the placement, this is a neet little puzzle

6G72GMadapter85.JPG6G72GMadapter80.JPG

6G72GMadapter81.JPG6G72GMadapter82.JPG

6G72GMadapter83.JPG6G72GMadapter84.JPG

whadchu been doin?

well i guess never mind that then.. ill just rip into it when i get garage space.

and yes i searched i didnt find a specific part for my year so i asked this hotel internet is shotty too most pages dont load... like the link posted just wont load

EDIT: i got it to load but i dont know what top shift, top shift rotated assembly or bottom shift is.. anyways i was just aking bill the transmission master lol

ever find time to work on the relocater kit? Dave is moching something up so i can get it here to cali

the shifter setup changes depending on numerous options, including if the truck had a bench seat or buckets. Just look at it. "top shift" and "forward shift" are pretty self explanatory. Or, throw either phrase into google, and you'll find lots of explanation and pictures.

hey mellow where you been? I feel like a bad date that got dumped off at the door step

aint notin gets by 'ol Crawler dan >;o)))))))))))))))))))))

oh no, did i forget to call, shoot sorry there bill. :grin:

where have i been, finishing summer term, planning out the next 6 weeks that i have off between terms.

pretty much planning on being under my car as much as i can be, short of being forced to show up to work from time to time.

i ordered some parts, got a small part of the world roped off as my "garage" and going to do all that i can do.

i made my list, i checked it about 12 dozen times, so we will see what i can turn out in a few weeks time.

I see you didnt tell your mom the 'pole dancer story' and she didnt get your cement in >;o(

Nah, shes just not dumb enough to believe I could get a pole dancer. :D

It's not that bad really, just got to look out for the large embers as they fall on the plywood, they make nice little flames.

I'm just doing one thing at a time and finishing it, rather then trying to remember all the things that have to be done, it's nice to look at the list and know its done and erase it. I recommend a white board for anyone doing a project. :)

yes your bell housing bolted up just fine. no fly wheel or clutch or anything like that yet, but one thing at a time.

i finished up all my motor/trans mounts today and bolted it all in.

e3d5c969.jpg

it looks and fits great in the engine bay.

now for the shifter

60f3eb58.jpg

the shifter hole is pretty much exactly 12" forward of where the center of the old shifter was.

i was thinking of seeing how your shifter relocate thing was going. i have kind of figured out a way to make a relocater if i want to keep it super cheap.

the shifter hole is pretty much exactly 12" forward of where the center of the old shifter was.

How's your firewall clearance? hard to tell in the picture, but it looks like the whole assembly could be moved back, which would be better for weight distribution...

I've also been thinking. I know you said you were planning on using this for rally. Just rallyX? I'm pretty sure Rally-America doesn't allow running an engine from a different manufacturer than the car (transmission is fine, though).

How's your firewall clearance? hard to tell in the picture, but it looks like the whole assembly could be moved back, which would be better for weight distribution...

I've also been thinking. I know you said you were planning on using this for rally. Just rallyX? I'm pretty sure Rally-America doesn't allow running an engine from a different manufacturer than the car (transmission is fine, though).

the firewall clearance is just a little less then a stock subaru. but because of where the shock towers are in the rx7 it makes for the a large chunk of the motor being behind the front axle center line.

the bar across the engine bay is the center of the front wheels.

551baf56.jpg

at this position i have the least amount of work to do. if i started sliding it farther back i start running into needing to clearance the firewall for the starter and then soon after that the air intake and maybe even the clutch fork also the steering would need to be completely redone. sure i could clearance it for the starter, and then maybe flip the intake, but that going past what my plan with this is. so far, if any one had some ok fab skills they could repeat what i have done here with out to many problems.

also if i flipped the intake i don't think it would fit under the stock hood like this set up does.

975285c7.jpg

and if i moved it back, i would have more issues with the motor/trans mounts.

i have said it a few times, the motor just kind of wiggled it's way into this spot, the motor mounts were easy, the trans mount was easy, the intake cleared, the started cleared, the steering cleared, my only bigger thing to deal with is the shifter, and i have a couple options for that.

as for rally, yes you are correct as per 10.2.9.a. "The engine is unrestricted; with the following exceptions, no forced induction; must be derived (at least the engine block) from a product line offered by the manufacturer of the vehicle."

but all rules are meant to be broken. I posed the question to RA almost 2 years ago, just shortly before i found Bill.

http://www.rally-america.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2750

the simple of it is, they would not stop me from running, but i would not be able to accumulate points towards the national championship.

ok.....like i could afford that any ways. :D

but there is a line in the rule book 10.1.C. "If a vehicle does not meet the specifications of any class, the Event Steward will place the vehicle in the most appropriate class for competition. The vehicle will be considered "exhibition" only and not eligible for event or season trophies, points, or cash awards."

NASA took the rule away, i think RA should too, or just not worry so much about the regional guys. but no one has ever tried it before, so i like to be a pioneer. :)

Cool. Every time I look at a subaru engine bay, and start thinking about RWD, the first thing I'd do is move the engine/trans back quite a bit. But yours is definitely moved back quite a bit compared to the front wheels than in a subaru. I think that's right where I'd put it.

That's a very interesting take on the rules. So would you be able to gather regional points too? Although I bet even then there's a bunch of competition in G2. My buddy is currently tied for 3rd in the Open Light central championships, even though he only finished one event before putting the turbo back on :grin:

Anyway, best of luck. Any chance you'll be racing next year? There's a good chance I'll be at Olympus and Oregon Trail next year....it'd be sweet to see it in the woods!

Cool. Every time I look at a subaru engine bay, and start thinking about RWD, the first thing I'd do is move the engine/trans back quite a bit. But yours is definitely moved back quite a bit compared to the front wheels than in a subaru. I think that's right where I'd put it.

That's a very interesting take on the rules. So would you be able to gather regional points too? Although I bet even then there's a bunch of competition in G2. My buddy is currently tied for 3rd in the Open Light central championships, even though he only finished one event before putting the turbo back on :grin:

Anyway, best of luck. Any chance you'll be racing next year? There's a good chance I'll be at Olympus and Oregon Trail next year....it'd be sweet to see it in the woods!

the only down side to the subaru engine bay is the subaru motor is what you would call a front sump set up, so the steering and cross member is behind the oil pan. so to really move the engine back you would need to do a lot of work. i bet i'm doing less work on my car then it would take to do it in a subaru.

unfortunately i will probably run out of time before i get it done or even running before school gets going again. but i can tell you for sure i wont be running any events for the next few years, i'm taking myself out of it until i'm done with school. for the better future i figure. less of a life now for a better one later, or some crap like that. :grin:

on a good note of progression towards it being done, i did get my driver side header done, now to do the other side tomorrow.

b36ef735.jpg

3dffbe38.jpg