Ultimate Subaru Message Board

W series Toyota trans adaptors

bill hincher

you can try out my shifter too, I am pretty confident in it

hey????????????????? you was worried about the bellhousing?????????????????????:grin:

Nah I really did have full confidence that it was going to work great.

The only thing I will tell you about the throw out bearing collar, on the side that faces the trans, the edge that slide on the trans snout, mine had a very very slight lip. Like just enough to scrape the back of your fingernail on and have it take some off. So when I put it on it almost felt as if it wanted to snag/drag as the clutch would be released. So I took a small round file to it to knock it down and that feeling went away.

Just an FYI, not the end of the world but I'll be picky just for you. :D

When ever your shifter is ready to go out let me know, I have been playing with an idea for a remote shifter, it will work, just would be an odd ugly looking thing. :)

But I'm at the point of figuring out my location of the shifter and e-brake handle so I need to get them in asap.

okay, now that I have seen Mellow break the dress code and drain 3 batteries starting the car:lol::lol::lol:

yes, you need to take off the tial section of the trans to repace the shifter loop on the shift rail, if I used the original, the sideways stroke would be too long, so I used the shortened version

then everything else is bolted to the top of the trans, you dont have to diassemble the main body of the trans, just the tail cover

okay, now that I have seen Mellow break the dress code and drain 3 batteries starting the car:lol::lol::lol:

yes, you need to take off the tial section of the trans to repace the shifter loop on the shift rail, if I used the original, the sideways stroke would be too long, so I used the shortened version

then everything else is bolted to the top of the trans, you dont have to diassemble the main body of the trans, just the tail cover

dress code? i didn't know there was one for garage work?

at least i wasn't just in my underwear. :)

does the tail part come off pretty easy?

it looks like its a bunch of bolts and it slides off.

The first battery was fresh off the charger, I think it was a combo of motor that hadn't been started in over a year and a starter that I think is dying that made it so grumpy to wake up. :grin:

Let me know when you get it ready, I'll give it a go and let you know how it works out.

• 2 weeks later...

Tools are fun >;o)

this is a pullmax P 9 and its what I been looking for, it cuts and shapes centers up to 1/4 in thick, the reason it was important to me was because now I can build any flexplate to any ring gear for any auto trans

p9pullmax1.JPGp9pullmax.JPG

p9pullmax2.JPGp9pullmax3.JPG

p9pullmax4.JPG

they aint cheap, I had to go to Chicago and pic it up and then unload it

now I gotta rest a couple dayz >;o)

• 1 month later...

I can't BELIEVE I missed this thread here... Found out about Bill's work on the Subiyota bellhousing via a few search engines then noted the link to here on his website...

This has been a great read since I've been toying with the idea to make my 82 Hatch into a proper RWD drift machine. Before I had been thinking about modifying the Subaru EJ AWD transmission into RDW only but this solution is so much nicer.

Less weight on the front axle, a proper engineered part to work with off the shelf parts, very nice.

There are 2 'issues' I'd liked to see 'fixed' before I order though and those are:

- cable clutch bracket mounting points (I can have it welded but cast would be much nicer)

- define required shifter location (I intend to move the engine 3 inches to the rear for better weight distribution)

Any ideas?

I can't BELIEVE I missed this thread here... Found out about Bill's work on the Subiyota bellhousing via a few search engines then noted the link to here on his website...

This has been a great read since I've been toying with the idea to make my 82 Hatch into a proper RWD drift machine. Before I had been thinking about modifying the Subaru EJ AWD transmission into RDW only but this solution is so much nicer.

Less weight on the front axle, a proper engineered part to work with off the shelf parts, very nice.

There are 2 'issues' I'd liked to see 'fixed' before I order though and those are:

- cable clutch bracket mounting points (I can have it welded but cast would be much nicer)

- define required shifter location (I intend to move the engine 3 inches to the rear for better weight distribution)

Any ideas?

we were all waiting for you to guide us through this build

I dont know what we were thinking :o

the problem with the cable operated clutch fork was the placement of the pivot ball, it intereffered with the retaining collar of the W series transmaission

the group discussed it during the design of the build and we all decided to go ahead with the hydraulic unit and then go back to see if the cable was an option

you can probably visit those pages of the build around the 5 through 7th page while we finding the right throw out bearing for the set up

there is no misunderstanding between us

OK I guess I missed that, I must admit I skimmed through the pages mainly looking for pics of the development and final product.

When I'm already considering redesigning the front and rear subframes/suspension maybe I should also look into 'upgrading' to an hydraulic clutch.

Do you have the adapters in stock, I guess you're making them in batches rather than to order? I'm keeping an eye out for a W55/57/58 transmission here in Europe and once I get hold of one I will contact you again (we already exchanged emails yesterday).

OK I guess I missed that, I must admit I skimmed through the pages mainly looking for pics of the development and final product.

When I'm already considering redesigning the front and rear subframes/suspension maybe I should also look into 'upgrading' to an hydraulic clutch.

Do you have the adapters in stock, I guess you're making them in batches rather than to order? I'm keeping an eye out for a W55/57/58 transmission here in Europe and once I get hold of one I will contact you again (we already exchanged emails yesterday).

I am an artisan freind >;o) nothing in mass production, I have raw castings on hand and build every housing is built one at a time

let me look at the housing and see what I need for a cable operated unit

YOU SIR!b are a wild man .;o)

I have been asked about it, but there isnt a lot of demand for such a unit

I dunno who you been talkin to, BUT they must know me:-p

well, the story goes, that you can take an AW4 transmission, USE an A340f or h Auto bellhousing, and You have a jeep auto trans, which allows for the use of diferent transfer cases.Such as, a Dana 300, or an Atlas.

My mind is still trying to get around the fact that the Manuals cannot be TO much different than the Auto trans at the trans side for mounting.

cheers, B

I dunno who you been talkin to, BUT they must know me:-p

well, the story goes, that you can take an AW4 transmission, USE an A340f or h Auto bellhousing, and You have a jeep auto trans, which allows for the use of diferent transfer cases.Such as, a Dana 300, or an Atlas.

My mind is still trying to get around the fact that the Manuals cannot be TO much different than the Auto trans at the trans side for mounting.

cheers, B

AW4 and A340 are the same transmissions, sans bellhousing, and transfer case. They are mechanically, and electrically interchangeable. (AW stands for Aisin-Warner, which if you do much with toyotas is a familiar name...)

The bolt pattern between the AW4/A340 and bellhousing is very different from the W series bellhousing pattern. So, no, Bill's housing will not get a RWD or true 4WD auto trans behind a subaru motor as-is

He has done the work of making a divorced bellhousing with an EJ pattern at the engine. That's a HUGE start.

For the record, assuming my brat reaches the point of a divorced tcase setup, I would MUCH prefer an automatic. I'm not going to say that I will be buying one, as that would be a lie, but there's a good chance.

The AW4/A340 would be the perfect option too, as there is a cheap and simple rail shifter available that would allow full manual control and no need for a computer to control it.

http://radesignsproducts.com/14Shiftcontrollers.aspx