Ultimate Subaru Message Board

W series Toyota trans adaptors

bill hincher

This is awesome, all of it. Sooby and non-sooby, Bill you the man.

Someone i dont even know personally (just through subaru forums in Canada) informed me of this thread a few days ago. My account here on USMB was just activated..

I'd like to get in the line for one of the svx adapters once they are available please. Anxiously waiting...

again, Bill, you the man.

ok bill i finally got a chance to dink around with it today.

i had to be damn nit picky to really find anything that could be fiddled with.

first i found when putting it together was the lower drivers side stud, when i put the nut on it i found there wasn't enough room for a socket to get in there.

IMG_20110417_143147.jpg

i mean i was still able to get it on, but still, i'm just whining.

next thing should never really be an issue, but worth mentioning. the out side diameter of the bell housing is just a little bit larger then the engine side. i wouldn't have even noticed it if i didn't still have the factory lift loop on the motor i would have never noticed.

IMG_20110417_143133.jpg

once again, don't think this would end the world, but i'm just blabbing about what i find.

other then those 2 things, i'm not seeing anything else popping up. i don't have a flywheel or pressure plate yet, but you did a bunch of playing with those so i'm going to just figure they are good.

but she does what bill claimed she does. :grin:

IMG_20110417_143400.jpg

now to just stab that bad boy in.

IMG_20110417_144802.jpg

This is awesome, all of it. Sooby and non-sooby, Bill you the man.

Someone i dont even know personally (just through subaru forums in Canada) informed me of this thread a few days ago. My account here on USMB was just activated..

I'd like to get in the line for one of the svx adapters once they are available please. Anxiously waiting...

again, Bill, you the man.

Just show'en off, man :)

So a quick couple questions. Been following this thread FOREVER. And read all the pages. Now, I dont remember if this is gonna work w/ a toyota supra r154 transmission. I blew my 1.8l trans 2 nights ago (260 whp will do that), and will be needing to buy a trans very soon.

And if its a yes, when will the BH be available to the masses? :grin:

So a quick couple questions. Been following this thread FOREVER. And read all the pages. Now, I dont remember if this is gonna work w/ a toyota supra r154 transmission. I blew my 1.8l trans 2 nights ago (260 whp will do that), and will be needing to buy a trans very soon.

And if its a yes, when will the BH be available to the masses? :grin:

the two series of transmissions that are used are either the Toyota 'W' series trans ( from w 55 to 59 2wheel drive or 4 wheel drive)

OR the 'R' series Toyota transmission ( either the R 150 or the R 151 from the V-6 Toyota truck in either 4wheel drive OR 2wheel drive)

depending on how they are ordered is how they are machined

The R 154 was avoided because the trans is getting harder to find and more expensive, so these two common transmissions were chosen, the R 154 input shaft is 3/4 inch longer and can be used in the R design bellhousing if needed, I would just need to custom build it

I need to 'think' (relax and reflect) a liitle bit >;o) as always, whatever I have done, I can do better, after I am sure I like what I have done, I will build some

do you need me to send you the flywheel you lent me?

nah keep it, a gift from me to you :grin:

i have people that owe me way to much money and sit on a stock pile of subaru parts. it is kind of nice to go "shopping" through their stuff sometimes. :)

Well I came across a guy that has both a r154 and a w58. With not much of a price difference. Like $75 difference. My goal is 400rwhp with the car, which is why i'm leaning towards the 154. Can you pm me a price please? And will there be a difference in the W vs R pricing? My zip is 98087.

And also, i assume i have to buy your shifter design as well? Or does the supra shifter come in about the same location as the subaru, within 2-3"?

Ok after some reading back, on pg. 25 there's a side by side comparison of the 2 trannys. So basically the w58 shifter comes up somewhere under the subaru radio. haha. Sooo... If you can get me a quote for your shifter contraption thing and a bellhousing, i'd appreciate it. Thank you Bill.

-florin

Edited by Florin1

Mellow, hurry up w/ that install, you're causing a traffic jamb. :banana:

oh he's not waiting on me, he's waiting on $$$ from his other bell housings. he said it's going to run about $2000 to run off 10 castings. so i'm sure if someone wanted to front him the money you would work your way to the top of the list.

i give it a thumbs up, he's done more testing with it in his garage then i will be able to do in mine anytime soon. i don't doubt bill in sending me something that works perfect. this isn't like his first bell housing he's made.

also i just say go with the R150. that way he wouldn't have to re-reinvent the wheel with this thing. the R150 and the W5x share the same input shaft length so all he would need to do is drill the tranny side to mate to the R150 rather then trying to figure something new out.

also the R150 will hold a good god load of power, they were the dads of the R154s.

and if you are shooing for 400rwh and i don't know if you are putting it in a subaru, you are going to scatter a many many rear diffs before that tranny will fail.

Front him $2000?! Or just my share of the bellhousing?

And, yeah, I'm gonna be running it in a subaru. I have an r180 out back, so i know those can take a fair amount of power.

i'm sure he would pay you back. just think of it as an investment into getting what you want. if i had the money i would loan it to him to get these going. then not only could you guys thank me for finding bill and pestering him relentlessly until he thought a subaru bell housing was cool, then you could thank me for getting them out to you all faster. :grin:

on a side note, i know money talks and BS walks, but i count a good dozen or so people, not just from here, that wants one. i kind of have been spreading it around in the subaru world. :grin:

but the guy has a million and one people pulling him in a billion and one different directions. i know he's pretty focused on his 4g63 to t5 beauty right now. he didn't think it was going to be a popular as it has been.

but he wont forget us, he's good like that. :)

its all good,very good

I sold a bunch or stuff last week

I hate to make promises but I do have to set deadlines, ( I can put the 'pro' in procrastination) I will have this adjusted pattern in casting the middle of next week and get some housings ready for this spring

Whats the status update?

My fab guy just about has the frame done and he needs me to get the adapter for cross-member mounting reasons

Is there a prototype made up? (mellow?) Something i can barrow so he can finnish my frame till the adapters are ready or anything along those lines? a Rental? idk

ive bought:

DOM for all linkage

hem joints

metal for the frame

misc metal for axle truss support and misc mounting tabs

next is shocks but i need the adapter so i can have him mount the tranny and get the cross-members tacked in and weld up the pivot points for the 4 link....

anyways just checkin in. hanks guys

~Kody

i can front 1k if it will help...

i would do 2k but the subaru build is suckin up a good chunk outta my paychecks in at $5500 this month:eek:

if my next invoice is 1k and below i can do another 1000 (i get paid weekly) this week and next week are already spent so the 11th maybe?

let me know

i can front 1k if it will help...

i would do 2k but the subaru build is suckin up a good chunk outta my paychecks in at $5500 this month:eek:

if my next invoice is 1k and below i can do another 1000 (i get paid weekly) this week and next week are already spent so the 11th maybe?

let me know

I apoligize, I didnt know it was this important to you, I never take any money before I can back up what I say, I need to move on this as fast as I can

where did you get the "shark Rabbit" Demon Rally fender?

Tom is a very good friend of mine.

p.s. Sorry for the Hijack.

got it from Tom himself. after they wadded it up and parted it out i bought it from him, figured it would be a cool piece for the wall and help a couple nice guys out in the process of building the new car.

Hey Bill one question I had I came up with the other day. Why did you leave such a big opening in the bottom of the bell housing? subarus have a small inspection cover that bolts onto the motor that will cover some, but still left a big gap to either try and cover with something else or just leave open. personally i'm going to try and extend the inspection cover to cover a good chunk of the hole.

but just a thought. and i wish i would have taken a picture to really show you what i was talking about.

but you can see the big difference between the 2 when you look at the pictures

319632625_449.jpg

IMG_20110402_140341.jpg

because the front facing of the transmission extends below the center line so far, it would be impossible to 'draft' when casting

the back of the belhousing has to be kept at and angle so the mold can be released after casting.

I have to not only build in a draft angle in both directions, but also maintain at least a 1 to 2 % shrinkage when building the pattern

are you moved back home yet? did your mom ask about me? >;o)

because the front facing of the transmission extends below the center line so far, it would be impossible to 'draft' when casting

the back of the belhousing has to be kept at and angle so the mold can be released after casting.

I have to not only build in a draft angle in both directions, but also maintain at least a 1 to 2 % shrinkage when building the pattern

are you moved back home yet? did your mom ask about me? >;o)

fair enough, carry on. :grin:

i am for the most part moved, just finishing packing the last bits and moving it into the "garage". mom was wondering how that low life, bottom feeder, sorry sack of dog sh*t was doing, clearly she must had been talking about you. :lol:

fair enough, carry on. :grin:

i am for the most part moved, just finishing packing the last bits and moving it into the "garage". mom was wondering how that low life, bottom feeder, sorry sack of dog sh*t was doing, clearly she must had been talking about you. :lol:

yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh they are always angry about the 'one' that got away :lol::lol::lol::lol::banana::banana::banana: