Ultimate Subaru Message Board

W series Toyota trans adaptors

bill hincher

hey bill question about your shifter relocater,

how are planning on working out the shifter end of it?

Are you going to do a box with a shifter at the relocated place? or do you even know yet? :grin:

i was thinking about that the other day, so i figure i would ask.

interesting idea, i like it :grin:

beats my "use a subaru shifter and part of the toyota shifter" idea that i came up with, although i still think mine will work and require nothing more then what i have in the garage. if i think about it one of these days i'll snap a pic of my cluster eff of what i'm thinking my shifter will look like.

I was going to use the shifter from the Mitsubishi eclipse and make it so you could mount it like a short joy stick

wait, you're talking like the cable style aren't you?

like you could put that bad boy anywhere.

i really like that. :grin:

Yea. I looked into retrofitting a cable-shifter to use a subaru 5MT in a porsche 914. Didn't look tooo difficult. seems to be a decent way to do it, and pretty common, even in cars with a transverse engine/transmission (I know Celicas use a cable shifter...)

the kit runs $425.00 that includes the housing , throw out bearing and throw out bearing collar plus shipping

See I didn't know man the dollar amount was never stated before or after the order. I'll send you some money you should recieve the payment by 11pm tuesday

Thanks for the reply bill I can't wait to get that housing bolted up

Edited by True2Blue

its not about money kody

dave already told you what you are asking for can not be done in the time line you want it done

You are trying to force a creation, its not done that way, it takes time to create

settle down, relax, money does not give you a claim in other peoples business

Dave told me from the beginning this would be done before I got home, just so were on the same Page. I don't mind if it takes longer. His wife keeps pulling the we have a contract line tho.

But I'm with you on the creation takes time I'm just tryin to get him all the parts he needs to get this bad boy done I've been trickling parts in...

I'm not tryin to rush you man I shoulda stayed in school longer I tend to over look things.

I was just sayin I'll have the shipping money to you soon I get paid every wednesday.

My days here feel like weeks a day goes by and I'm scattered tryin to remember what to do what I forgot to order and what not 16 hour days kill my brain

Dave said it arrived. Thank you much.

Were working on gettin all the loose ends tied up as far as the whole project goes.

What fork/hardware is supposed to be used with the housing? As far as shift fork.. I started to read through the thread but I'm at work on my iPod and my eyes are bad so it's a slow task

the housing uses everything right from the existing Subaru trans, pivot ball. clutch fork, slave cylinder, as well as the flywheel, pressure plate and starter, the disc is from the Toyota 22Re engine

the throw out bearing and collar comes with the new housing

what I have been doing while we wait fr Kody >;o)

6G72GMadapter45.JPG6G72GMadapter46.JPG

this machine is called a nibbler or pullmax style machine, it was built for making circles, but I also build my own dies for what ever purpose I want to use

6G72GMadapter49.JPG6G72GMadapter50.JPG

a flex plate is just that, it flex's and its also like a spring, it gets pushed forward under load, the flex plate has to move about .060 so a bit of a bend not only keeps a little of pressure against the load but when you bend steel, you double its strength without adding weight

6G72GMadapter47.JPG6G72GMadapter48.JPG

I opened the center hole so I could mount my adapter and then drilled it to accept the Ford C-4 torque converter and this was one of the reasons the C 4 was chosen, it has a 10.5 in bolt circle pattern, which was just small enough to fit inside the ring gear that was selected, the GM converter was 10.75 and would not fit

6G72GMadapter51.JPG6G72GMadapter54.JPG

I mounted the flex plate to the coupler just for the center, then I trimmed the outer diameter to size for the ring gear

6G72GMadapter56.JPG6G72GMadapter59.JPG

this is the finish look, I need to pay some attention to detail but I was pretty happy with it, with the smaller ( 10 in or smaller ) converter I will be mounting the starter as a reverse set up but I kept the ring gear on the flex plate so anyone could select and buy what ever stall speed converter they may want

6G72GMadapter61.JPG6G72GMadapter63.JPG

My first week in kuwait (top of the safir hotel)

197266_198829883471004_100000319815062_638720_1777629_n.jpg

Half way through my 3 month "tour" in front of the kuwait towers

252171_215431441810848_100000319815062_760396_4489329_n.jpg

The daily crap temperature

253702_218562418164417_100000319815062_783652_2632558_n.jpg

Just a week before i left i visited failaka island where the invasion started

249837_217109568309702_100000319815062_772963_1442502_n.jpg

Note that i dont have any pictures of me at work for the simple fact that they are all on my new ipod and these were taken on my 1 day off a week when i went out instead of sleep lol

All in all it was hot as ************ and i worked 12 hour days with 3 hours of travel time id wake up at 5:30 and get home at 10:30 (after gym time)

LONG days

ill have updates of the subaru this weekend it should be done mid july

Edited by True2Blue