Ultimate Subaru Message Board

W series Toyota trans adaptors

bill hincher

you just use the Toyota disc and the rest is all subaru

the disc was used in mid 1980's pick up with a 22 r engine

if you want a clutch built , its Dan at compitition clutch

Yes bill I'm aware of what disc is needed, I mean come on I have been there since day one, sheesh. :rolleyes:

You just rant and rave about your clutch guy and I wanted to see where he fell on price.

Can he do puck discs too?

So where does the AX-15 out of jeeps fall into the mix with the bellhousing adapter? It's the same transmission as a r150, just a different input shaft on it, right?

Finding a transmission for a jeep cherokee in a junkyard, sorry, "automotive recycler", would be a lot easier than finding one out of a toyota.

if it really is the same as you say. which I dont know that for sure. lol

you would then just need a different clutch disc. get one for a jeep instead of a toyota as long as the disc diameter is the same. find a pilot bearing that fits the trans and the subaru. and then use the subaru pressure plate and all the other things said in this thread.

if it really is the same as you say. which I dont know that for sure. lol

you would then just need a different clutch disc. get one for a jeep instead of a toyota as long as the disc diameter is the same. find a pilot bearing that fits the trans and the subaru. and then use the subaru pressure plate and all the other things said in this thread.

yeah or just find a toyota one. :grin:

but really because the 3.0 that were in front of the r150 was pretty much destine to die young there are plenty of them out there.

I would be glad to help anyone on the AX 15 trans adapter but I dont see the advantage

Just go down and buy one and ship it to me, it may take a couple months

the input shaft is 2 inch longer then the R 150 and the throw out bearing collar is longer, but in the end all the engineers are doing is locating the shifter back for the Jeep aplication

Its the same R sereis trans built by Asian

this is the remote shifter, the first thing I did was replace the shifer loop extension with an R 154 internal set up

W55remoteshifter.JPGW55remoteshifter1.JPG

then I located and mounted the second peice from the R 154 shifter and located the shift rail

W55remoteshifter2.JPGW55remoteshifter4.JPG

then I started building the body of the remote shifter

W55remoteshifter5.JPGW55remoteshifter6.JPG

I could have done this a lot of different ways but it had to be very universal because it will fit a variaty of aplications and it had to work just as well as a 5 inch extension to a 2 foot extension

W55remoteshifter8.JPG

I will probably spend just as much time building the tooling to machine this part

I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to fit it to use a cable shifter. I started looking into using a Subaru transmission in a mid-engine/rear-drive application, and found a number of people that adapted cable-shifter setups without too much difficulty, which gives you just about infinite flexibility as long as you have cables long enough.

even if you wanted a cable set up, you would need this part, you need the remote shift rail to get your cables hooked to, so you still need the box on top of the trans

fair enough.

do you know what the compatibility of that shifter extension will be? Off the top of my head, I'm thinking that looks a bit different than the shifter on the W56 that came out of my '86 4runner.....

fair enough.

do you know what the compatibility of that shifter extension will be? Off the top of my head, I'm thinking that looks a bit different than the shifter on the W56 that came out of my '86 4runner.....

I dont quite understand what your asking but it is compatible with a shifter from the Mitsubishi Eclipse in either cable or solid shaft design

there is no restriction on length or positioning, the only real downside is the higth of the remote shifter box, I will be building it as low as I can but its still too tall for me, I didnt want to require too much sheet metal to be removed

I dont quite understand what your asking but it is compatible with a shifter from the Mitsubishi Eclipse in either cable or solid shaft design

there is no restriction on length or positioning, the only real downside is the higth of the remote shifter box, I will be building it as low as I can but its still too tall for me, I didnt want to require too much sheet metal to be removed

I'm curious about the transmission compatibility. It's been awhile since I had the shifter off my W56 transmission, but I didn't think it looks like this:

W55remoteshifter1.JPG

mellow65....that looks awesome! Should be sweet.

NO WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:grin:

It looks like it was made for that engine bay

YES WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!! :grin:

I have been saying it for awhile that this thing fits quite well in the engine bay. The key was the early 2.2 heads, they were small enough to clear the steering and not need to do major surgery on the frame rails.

I'm curious about the transmission compatibility. It's been awhile since I had the shifter off my W56 transmission, but I didn't think it looks like this:

W55remoteshifter1.JPG

mellow65....that looks awesome! Should be sweet.

you are used to seeing the shifter loop ( I call it) in the shifter housing, yes, that is a W series transmission with an R 154 shifter collar taking place of the original W series loop, its just a collection of Toyota parts that are crossed over

BOHO.JPG