Ultimate Subaru Message Board

W series Toyota trans adaptors

bill hincher

is the AW4 and A340 transmissions the same auto trans that comes in the 2JZ engine ? because I have that on hand

It came with 3.0, 3.4, and one JDM that I can find that was 2jz...but that is according to the Wiki.don't know how much faith I'd have in that.

Here is a chart for more k-nowdledge:

Type

Year

Found Behind

Gears

Low Gear

Length

T-Case Shifting

Notes

L43

1979-1980

20R

20 3/4"

L45

1981-1982

22R

???

Integral bell housing.

L50

1981-1982

22R

???

Integral bell housing,

input bearing prone to failure.

L52

22R

???

Integral bell housing.

G52

1984-1987

22R

25 1/4"

Forward

Front seal retainer uses 8 bolts.

G54

1984-1987

22R

25 1/4"

Forward

A340F

1984-1999

22RE, 22RTE

???

???

Found on vehicles with manual hubs and

V6 models after '96.

A340H

1988-1995

3VZE

???

Mechanical Linkage on Side

Found on vehicles with ADD, transfer case integral to transmission.

W56

1985-1995

22RE

25 1/4"

Top (85-88)

Forward (89-95)

Front seal retainer uses 7 bolts.

R151F

1986-1987

22RTE (pickups only)

25 1/4"

Top (w/ Bucket Seats)

Forward (w/ Bench Seats)

Can be identified by round rubber plug on the bottom of the bellhousing.

G58

1989-1995

22RE

???

Found of vehicles with ADD.

R150F

1988-1995

3VZE

???

cheers, B

well, that didna work out well.....anyways.

Edited by monstaru

Looking good. I'm waiting to get paid for an EZ30R H6 engine I sold (getting the money beginning of December) then I will order myself one of these nice adapters as Christmas present :)

I already confirmed a W57 transmission with shifter and front piece of the propeller shaft for 150 Euro (just under 200 bucks). Mileage is 223.000 km I guess that is no problem for a Toyota transmission (engine 21RC). Will be picking it up in the next few weeks.

Right - we knew about the bell housing. Just wondering about the shifter and when we can get a package deal with both.

What's holding me up from buying is that I really am going to need the remote shifter as well for my project so I might as well wait (assuming it's going to get developed :-p) and purchase both at the same time.

No rush - actually I probably won't need it for a year - maybe several. But I want to support your amazing product for our little community here - that's the only reason I ask :o.

GD

I'm not sure yet if I'm going to need a remote shifter. I plan on moving the engine backwards as far as possible. Without lowering the engine in the chassis I can move it back 3 inches then the starter hits the firewall.

I still have to figure out how much further I can go without repositioning the steering rack. I could also modify part of the firewall near the starter to create extra package space to move the engine even further back.

I will be building a custom subframe for engine, transmission and front suspension (using EJ A-arms).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

well,,,,,,,,,,,,, I better get back to work on this shifter deal before I cause a major depression

this is where I been, this is a Mitsubishi V 6 engine with a reverse starter molded into the bellhousing

I just keep cutting, fitting ,welding and shaping the housing

6G72adapterC4bellhousing11.JPG6G72adapterC4bellhousing12.JPG

6G72adapterC4bellhousing15.JPG6G72adapterC4bellhousing16.JPG

there is a difference in starter rotation that has been asked about , when you do a reverse starter application, its good to know you rotate the enging in the proper direction

6G72adapterC4bellhousing17.JPG6G72adapterC4bellhousing18.JPG

I hated the first starter location, there were two problems with it, first in didnt set the starter between bellhousing bolt boses and relied on only one main bolt station to limlt and deflection in the starter, the other problem was special shifter linkage would have been required

6G72adapterC4bellhousing22.JPG6G72adapterC4bellhousing24.JPG

because of the depth of the starter gear, I had a choice. build a custom gear or build the starter body right into the bellhousing, well I hate custom parts, all these parts are available over the counter so I spent the time to place the front of the starter pocket into the bellhousing

6G72adapterC4bellhousing32.JPG6G72adapterC4bellhousing33.JPG

6G72adapterC4bellhousing34.JPG6G72adapterC4bellhousing35.JPG

6G72adapterC4bellhousing36.JPG6G72adapterC4bellhousing37.JPG

6G72adapterC4bellhousing41.JPG

I should be filling it all in and getting it to casting this month

6G72adapterC4bellhousing44.JPG6G72adapterC4bellhousing45.JPG

6G72adapterC4bellhousing46.JPG6G72adapterC4bellhousing47.JPG

6G72adapterC4bellhousing48.JPG6G72adapterC4bellhousing49.JPG

Edited by bill hincher

they are all 'R' series asian transmissions and thats why I built the pattern into it, they all share the same bolt pattern but the AX jeep has a waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy long input shaft

I hate spacers, so I built into the plans being flexable enough to lengthen my bellhousings to accept the longer shafts of the R 154 and the AX 15

where the problems come in is in the throw out bearing match ups and the cost of the custom disc, I belive the AX has a coarse spline disc, if you can find it in a 9 inch that would help

i hadnt thought about throwouts, or depths

i know you can swap an r series input into an ax15, but most people would rather not

as for the clutch, couldnt we turn a lrger disc down to the appropriate diam in a lathe? ill look into it more.

the reason im thinking this is- i can pick up a whole running jeep cherokee for the cost of an r series :D

i hadnt thought about throwouts, or depths

i know you can swap an r series input into an ax15, but most people would rather not

as for the clutch, couldnt we turn a lrger disc down to the appropriate diam in a lathe? ill look into it more.

the reason im thinking this is- i can pick up a whole running jeep cherokee for the cost of an r series :D

yeah the cost is the reason I choose the pre 97 R 151, they came on all the V 6 toyota trucks so there are lots of transmissions and they were heavier then the w series trans

Oh and bill were you going to get back on the shifter thing any time soonish, my big mess of ugly really is what I'm going to use if yours doesn't come through.

Now shockingly as ugly as it may be, it actually shifts (at least in the garage) quite nicely.

yeah, I have a lot of requests for it , its really the next logical step to making a workable swap

hows school? things working out at home?