Ultimate Subaru Message Board

W series Toyota trans adaptors

bill hincher

what starter should I use? what year?

anything from 90 to early 2000s are the same. just needs to be from a manual.

even just looked one up and they claim all the way up to 06.

man i love subaru. :)

also bill I didn't know if i should say anything because i don't want to be a whiner or something, but didn't you say you were going to make these double duty for the hefty trannys too?

if that's out of the question now that's totally fine, i just was wondering.

anything from 90 to early 2000s are the same. just needs to be from a manual.

even just looked one up and they claim all the way up to 06.

man i love subaru. :)

also bill I didn't know if i should say anything because i don't want to be a whiner or something, but didn't you say you were going to make these double duty for the hefty trannys too?

if that's out of the question now that's totally fine, i just was wondering.

yeah, thats why the facing on the back of the bellhousing is so wide, it fits 4 transmissions, the W series 4WD and 2WD and the pre 97 short shaft R seies from the V 6 truck , both 4wd and 2 wd

want me to rebuild it? I could add the allison hydro out of the mack desiels

yeah, thats why the facing on the back of the bellhousing is so wide, it fits 4 transmissions, the W series 4WD and 2WD and the pre 97 short shaft R seies from the V 6 truck , both 4wd and 2 wd

want me to rebuild it? I could add the allison hydro out of the mack desiels

lol :lol:

no need to rebuild anything bill, i guess i didn't know they used the same bolt holes. i thought in some other pics i saw 2 sets of bolt holes.

will your idea of putting a plate between the bell housing and the newer long shaft R trannys still work?

but hmmmm, them allisons had like a pto out put, imagine all the wonderful things i could run with a pto. :grin:

and really bill even if it just did the W 99% of us would be happy as all get out. so really thanks again.

from what information I have gathered, the W series Toyota 5 speed ( W 55-59 non turbo) is the same input length at the pre '96 R 151 and 150 which was built for the v6 truck and 22re turbo engines in 4wd and 2 wd

then after '96 R 151 and 150 was built for the V-6 truck but an inch was added to the input shaft length

so here is the deal

w-55-59 and pre 96 r 151 and r 150 = 6.5 inch input shaft

r 154 Toyota Supra turbo trans = 7.25 in input shaft

after 96 r 151 and r 150 V-6 Toyota trans = 7.50 input shaft

so I should be able to build my W 55 bellhousing to accept the pre' 96 R 151 and r 150

now the only problem is, it has to be drilled for one or the other, because some of the trans facing holes are very close to each other

subtoyadaptor195.JPG

Edited by bill hincher

from what information I have gathered, the W series Toyota 5 speed ( W 55-59 non turbo) is the same input length at the pre '96 R 151 and 150 which was built for the v6 truck and 22re turbo engines in 4wd and 2 wd

then after '96 R 151 and 150 was built for the V-6 truck but an inch was added to the input shaft length

so here is the deal

w-55-59 and pre 96 r 151 and r 150 = 6.5 inch input shaft

r 154 Toyota Supra turbo trans = 7.25 in input shaft

after 96 r 151 and r 150 V-6 Toyota trans = 7.50 input shaft

so I should be able to build my W 55 bellhousing to accept the pre' 96 R 151 and r 150

now the only problem is, it has to be drilled for one or the other, because some of the trans facing holes are very close to each other

no worries, just plug away as is, a W will work for me and most anyone else, i can't see ever needing something else in the fly weight car it's going in.

and i read those Ws are good for a 350hp, WAY more then most us poor folks are going to ever be making.

now i'll stop making noise so i can get back to the books so i can someday afford to really play with my cars like i want to. :grin:

lets have some fun >;o)

one of your fearless members asked me about a bellhousing to mate the sub engine to a purely rwd unit, preferably the toyota w series transmission, i thought it was a neet idea

01subw55.jpg08subw55.jpg

09subw55.jpgsubtoyadaptor12.JPGsubtoyadaptor37.JPG

subtoyadaptor36.JPGsubtoyadaptor67.jpg

subtoyadaptor69.jpgsubtoyadaptor71.jpg

Subw55054.jpgsubtoyadaptor75.jpg

subtoyadaptor80.jpgsubtoyadaptor87.jpg

subtoyadaptor91.jpgsubtoyadaptor94.jpg

subtoyadaptor114.jpgsubtoyadaptor112.jpg

subtoyadaptor118.jpgsubtoyadaptor152.jpgsubtoyadaptor193.JPGsubtoyadaptor196.JPG

nothin to it >;o0

Edited by bill hincher

Bill, you have no idea how much of my hero you are.

I can only dream of having the skill and talent you have.

Twitch

It was a forced situation, i was turned down for a job at the post office because I couldnt get a concealed weapons permit, so I built bellhousings

I ordered a sub starter from a 95 Legacy, its supposed to be a manual trans starter, can anybody verify the diamter of the starter locater?

subtoyadaptor198.jpg

I dissasembled everything and tested the starter location, Its all good

subtoyadaptor199.jpg

I wonder if they dregged the lake to find this part?????????????

subtoyadaptor200.jpg

there is a pretty huge difference between an auto and manual starter, the auto one wouldn't even come close to working. they have the ring gear on the torque converter not the flex plate.

but i'll go measure my starter i got out in the garage.

dont you ever sleep? Mellow?:grin:

I didnt know if there was a difference in the mounting bracket or something, but from what you say its all about length so we should be good

sometimes, in between work and school and the gf i grab a couple winks. :grin:

nope, from what i have ever found a manual starter is a manual starter is a manual starter. they cross all models too.

if you went online to o'reilly auto parts and looked up a starter for a 90s subaru and clicked the compatibility thing, it spans all years of the legacys, imprezas, foresters, outbacks even up to a 2006 baja turbo.

if you had anything from the mid 90s you're golden. :)

there is a pretty huge difference between an auto and manual starter, the auto one wouldn't even come close to working. they have the ring gear on the torque converter not the flex plate.

but i'll go measure my starter i got out in the garage.

They're pretty similar. the difference in gear location is mostly made up by the location of the mounting surface on the bellhousing.

I've never had them side-by-side. But I've never been able to tell the difference AT v MT.

from rockauto

AT:

16887_CMB.jpg

MT:

17067_CMB.jpg

you are right in saying the mounting surface on the bellhousing makes up for most of the position of the gear. the auto trans had a way thicker mounting flange so it would pull the starter farther away from where a flywheel would be.

the side shot of the starter shows you that the auto is not out as far as the manual one is.

but i think it would be pretty obvious if you put an auto starter in a manual tranny.