Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Import Experts Master Timing Belt Kit... Noisy?

Just did timing belt, all pulleys, tensioner, water pump, and cam seals. Used the Import Experts 'Master Timing Belt Kit' off eBay as some suggested. I know several other people on here run these so I'm asking... are yours noisy?

It's a subtle ... 'whirring' or 'whine'; low pitch (not a squeak or squeal) It's not rhythmic but constant and in perfect time with the engine RPMs. Haven't narrowed it down yet to anything specific.

I've put on almost 70 miles now since I put this all on and everything seems OK... maybe I'm just paranoid? =/

(ps. just had a thought while writing this... maybe something rubbing on the timing belt covers?! like the crank pulley, tensioner pulley for AC belt or something? I noticed some marks on the t-belt covers they were rubbing on them at some point. I'll check that out tomorrow...)

Used many of their kits without issues. I source my own WP and belts.

I know many sets I've installed have gone 100k.

I use their idlers and sometimes new style tensioners.

Haven't been doing many Suby's lately thought. Bearings used to be "GMB" which are very acceptable.

my experience has been very good.

It's not the a/c, alt, or power steering?

Something rubbing is definitely something to check particularly wherever you saw signs.

Pretty sure you can get a mechanics stethoscope on each of the bolts for many of the pulleys with the side timing covers removed, which are really easy just 3 bolts each.

Good luck, hope it's simple.