Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Do you guys drill your own wheels?

brysawn

^Thank god this guy is here to explain stuff to us Brain.

I had no idea how to drill these wheels before that post. I would've had a 13 lug Subaru. :rolleyes:

And howabout YOU show some respect...:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: ROFL.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Some jackass posted this in one the previous 347,843,901 posts regarding this exact topic.

Here's the thread so you can see for yourself all the hot drill on wheel action.

http://ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=89174&highlight=drilling+wheels

Re: how to drill holes in wheel

1) Get a hub off of a Subaru. ( you want to use an old one, like a used up drum off the rear. That way you don't run the risk of ruining the knurl mating surface for the lug studs on a good one )

2) Knock out two opposing lug studs. Diagonal from each other.

3) Use the remaining studs, and two lug nuts to secure the hub to the wheel being drilled. Be sure it is tight, as this acts as your guide for drilling the wheel.

4) Attacking the situation from behind, use the holes in the hub as a guide to begin drilling your new holes. This means you will be drilling through the holes that you just removed the studs from, from the inside of the hub, towards the outside, and into the back of the wheel.

I used a 1/2 inch drill bit. You could go a little larger if you like, but I don't see a point. The 1/2 inch holes worked perfect.

And a Very good drill.

And a can of Cutting Oil This will allow you to use the drill bit more than this one time.:rolleyes:

I used a good corded drill, as even my really nice cordless one would only drill a couple of wheels before the battery went dead. It was much slower as well.

For the "60*" tapered mating surface for the lug nut, you could use a larger drill bit. From the front of the wheel, use the larger bit to make a small taper in the holes you just drilled, making a nice small seat for the lug nut, similar to the ones on the rest of the wheels original holes. Anything a little over an inch would work good to lightly make a tapered lug surface. I however didn't have a drill bit of that size, and didn't do this. I have yet to have any problems. For anyone scoring at home; I could really care less if you personally think this is a big no-no. A tight lug nut, is a tight lug nut.

I'm not sure of the size of the drill press you have access to, but it may be more of a problem than just doing them with a hand held drill. The size of the wheel (especially if it has a tire on it) may make it very difficult to get into the drill press. I would honestly just use a really good corded drill. If you pay attention, this is a pretty hard thing to screw up.

Good luck. Enjoy your new tire options!:burnout:

^Thank god this guy is here to explain stuff to us Brain.

I had no idea how to drill these wheels before that post. I would've had a 13 lug Subaru. :rolleyes:

And howabout YOU show some respect...:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: ROFL.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

:horse:

"If you pay attention, this is a pretty hard thing to screw up."Yeah Buddy!

When did they put 9th grade back into middle school? When I was(n't) there they had just changed it to 9,10,11,12th being high school! Its reverted already? Its a 20yr phlip phlop?

Why does a self drilled taper help "in any way "on a redrilled rim, why not just flip a nut and use the backside, keeping it self centered on the stock two?

keywords: high!, School?, Drilled, Girls..., Flipped nut!, rolled a taper, hot drill action?, reverted to..., rim job, BEER!

Edited by Yo'J
sarcasm and clarification

Points to ponder if your planning to drill your rim or hub;

1) do your new rims look fancy? (Like Yo! G'Dog Thems All Shiny Bling Dog Shoes On your Piamp Ride! and such snot)

2) are you going to beat the snot out of them and cover them with mud?

3) do you live with excessive auto regulations like in Australia?

Real points to ponder;

1) are your brakes good enough?

2) does your engine have enough power?

3) will you keep up with up keep or do you have to take it to a shop?

Edited by Yo'J
kinda gotta