Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ FSM Carb Info

rxleone

Hey fellas, stumbled across this info for a 1991 Legacy on AUSubaru.com - thought it might be a bit of interesting reading for you carb-less Stateside folk! :)

FSM EJ Carb Section

FSM Dizzy Ignition Section

Also on another note, now I've finally gotten back into a job, expect to see a carbed EJ22 showing up somewhere along the lines in my EA82 wagon - using all Subaru parts :banana: giggity giggity goo

Well thats nice info to have layin around! Thanks! Did you get those carbed cars there?

Yeah, in the EJ18 - not the EJ16 as it's labeled. Should be a good little runner, and a straight-forward swap too :)

Hi This is Jerry, i already have a 2,2 carb engine in my 80 hatchbrat. It is a 96 imperza 2.2 and has a holley 4 barrel, it was at the subaru show last year. Thanks Jerry

Nice one - Got any pics of the inlet manifold? I think the stock carbed' ones are the best. I'll get some photos of them next time I'm at the JY.

Please note that the carbed and SPI EJ manifold will not fit the MPI EJ heads due to the bowls for the injectors (won't seal).

um....does that mean that the EJ18 carby manifold that is bolted on my EJ22 heads shouldn't be there?....as far as i know its only really differences in stroke length that mess with the ability to swap manifolds between engines of the same series....certainly on EJ series anyway

Please note that the carbed and SPI EJ manifold will not fit the MPI EJ heads due to the bowls for the injectors (won't seal).

um....does that mean that the EJ18 carby manifold that is bolted on my EJ22 heads shouldn't be there?....as far as i know its only really differences in stroke length that mess with the ability to swap manifolds between engines of the same series....certainly on EJ series anyway

Yeah, not really sure where you got that info from LeoneTurbo... I know of a local mechanic who regularly swaps MPFI SOHC EJ22's into Brumbies, with the carburetor manifold, and he has had no such problems.

Also, I'm pretty sure when I stripped down my timing-belt-disaster of an engine DOHC N/A MPFI EJ20D (which manifold is very similar to the EJ22) it didn't have bowls.... Then again I was only stripping it for the alloy to sell for scrap, so I wasn't paying too much attention.

Edited by rxleone

MY89-93 EJ18 SPI gasket:

EJ18S.jpg

EJ18S_gasket.jpg

MY89-98 EJ20/22 MPI gasket:

EJ22E.jpg

EJ22E_gasket.jpg

It's not very clear from the pictures but the SPI and carb manifold/headport/gaskets are oval shaped, the MPI is also oval but with a nutch for the injector spray pattern. I believe that area will not be covered by the SPI or carb manifold. But I could be mistaken.

Hi This is Jerry, i used the stock intake on my 4 barrle carb set up. Where the injectors went in the manifold i removed them and put in soft plugs and where the coil pack sat on the manifold i cut a big square hole and welded on a 4 barrle plate. Thanks Jerry

It's not very clear from the pictures but the SPI and carb manifold/headport/gaskets are oval shaped, the MPI is also oval but with a nutch for the injector spray pattern. I believe that area will not be covered by the SPI or carb manifold. But I could be mistaken.

Hmmmm, I see what you mean. Does anyone know what sort of CR I'd be looking at if I put EJ18 heads onto the EJ22 block?

A bit higher but nothing the engine (ie.pistons) cannot handle. I think you will gain almost one point.

Like as is 9.5 to 9.6? I'm sure I could manage that :) might even bump the HP up one or two ponies :lol:

More to say 10.5 :) I would have to calculate exactly how much but I have to dig out my Excel sheet with all the information on head volume etc. but I don't have it (yet) on my new company laptop.

...which would require the running of high-octane gas no?

Depends. I run a CR of 11.0 on my custom EJ22 DOHC engine and is runs w/o knock correction on the lowest grade fuel available in Europe (it's Euro 95, we also get Super 98 and even 100) but I don't know how that compares to US fuel.

But since you'll be running a carb and a distributor you could always reduce timing by a degree or two to compensate. Or run a bit richer will also put you in a safe zone.

Yeah, but our octane numbering system is an average of two numbers, the reseach octane number and somthing else. So it might be hard to compare. Plus it's all crapped up with ethanol, doesn't smell like real gas anymore and corrodes everything.

You have any progress finding manifolds and distributors in the junkyard? Last time I pm'd you you were still busy with a move or somethng so I let it lie.

Yeah, but our octane numbering system is an average of two numbers, the reseach octane number and somthing else. So it might be hard to compare. Plus it's all crapped up with ethanol, doesn't smell like real gas anymore and corrodes everything.

You have any progress finding manifolds and distributors in the junkyard? Last time I pm'd you you were still busy with a move or somethng so I let it lie.

Heading there tomorrow mate - I know there is one there definitely, but I need one so that's mine :P will have photos up tomorrow :D

MY89-93 EJ18 SPI gasket:

EJ18S_gasket.jpg

MY89-98 EJ20/22 MPI gasket:

EJ22E_gasket.jpg

By my reading that's the same part #s for the intake gaskets on all EJ18's on the list. SPFI or MPFI

14035AA050 Superceeds to 14035AA051 which superceeds 14035AA190

Remember that just cause the PN's are different, doesn't mean it's not interchangable when you're dealing with subarus.

I think if the same gasket works SPFI or MPFI on the 1.8, IDK why it wouldn't work a phase I SOHC 2.2? Same heads.

Edited by Gloyale

Okay, so the weather decided to clear up on Friday just as I was leaving work, so I got to the Junkyard on Saturday :D yay for me.. but unfortunately, the car I had been told was carbed was in fact SPFI, and the distributor had already been taken :(

However, I did grab the SPFI intake manifold, which, as far as I know, is not the same as the carb manifold, but is close enough to build an adapter on to :P

Here's some pics for you guys in the states.. Enjoy :)

EJCarbHeader-03.jpg

Subaru5.jpg

EJCarbHeader-09.jpg

EJCarbHeader-08.jpg

EJCarbHeader-07.jpg

EJCarbHeader-06.jpg

EJCarbHeader-05.jpg

Sorry about the blurriness on some of the pics, camera seems to be playing up and don't know how to fix it...

So, all in all, not a bad little find - I know there are some more SPFI cars floating around the JY's up here, so there's plenty more where that came from, and if worse comes to worse, and I can't find the original carb manifold, I'll just get an adapter plate for a Weber made up, and slot that bad boy on :D

Edited by rxleone

Would you mind holding up an EJ22 intake manifold gasket lined up with the bolt holes on the manifold? It would be interesting to see the overlap on the gasket.

I see what someone said about it potenially not sealing against a head with the injector bump in it. That looks like it could be pretty easily solved with a spacer plate, but then that brings in the problem of sealing the coolant crossover to the block.

So mabe machine down the intake manifold mating surfaces the thickness of the block-off plate, and that way the plate is samwiched between the intake and the head, and the coolant crossover is properly clamped against the block.

Would you mind holding up an EJ22 intake manifold gasket lined up with the bolt holes on the manifold? It would be interesting to see the overlap on the gasket.

I see what someone said about it potenially not sealing against a head with the injector bump in it. That looks like it could be pretty easily solved with a spacer plate, but then that brings in the problem of sealing the coolant crossover to the block.

So mabe machine down the intake manifold mating surfaces the thickness of the block-off plate, and that way the plate is samwiched between the intake and the head, and the coolant crossover is properly clamped against the block.

I would, but I don't even have an EJ22 gasket on me at the moment mate. I think it could be easily solved, but as you said, seeing as there are no bolts clamping the crossover to the block, you could run into problems very fast.

I think what I'm going to do is simply run the carbed or SPFI EJ18 heads on the EJ22 block. That way it raises the compression (which should bring power up, hopefully to nearly that of an EFI EJ22) and I won't have to mess about changing out distributors . Of course, that doesn't help those of you who live where there are only EFI heads.

I'm pretty flat-out with work at the moment, so I doubt I'll be back at the junkyards till next weekend, but I'll keep everyone posted on the distributors and hopefully be able to grab a few manifolds.

Edited by rxleone