Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Small issues...

Just bought this 89 GL wagon, and while all the other switches on the other doors work, none of the switches on the driver's work (figures!)

Any idea what might have caused this? Dunno if it's related (if it's not, please help me on this too) but there's a small light that says "DOOR LOCK" illuminated just to the right of the high beam indicator on the instrument cluster.

Everything else seems to work..so let me know if you have any idea why this is happening :) Thanks!

PS-That switch on the top of the steering column, apparently for the parking lights...WHAT the heck is the purpose of that other than to kill the battery when I hit it accidentally during the day? :)

If your door electricals work at the door themselves, and they cannot be controlled by the master switch on the drivers side door, then I would suspect the master switch and/or the wiring at the drivers side door.

Easiest solution: swap it out with one known to work.

Not sure about the dash switch you mentioned...

good luck, John

You might take a look at the wiring in the door hinge before tearing into the door.

John has your answer I believe.

the "door lock" light means you have not loccked the doors, just a reminder, like the old seat belt warning light.

the parking light switch is for using your parking lights when the key is off,

maybe sitting along side the road in a non emergency situ.

If you have not discovered yet - your headlamps and parking lights only work when the key is on.

Hope this helps and welcome to THE Old Gen Subaru board

I second skip... check the wiring at the door hinge first. You said that none of the driver's door switches work (locks & windows, if you've got PW), and that "Door Lock" light is always on.

I could be wrong, but I imagine there's a wiring harness connector somewhere near that door hinge, to facilitate removing the door if need be. If that connection came undone, none of the switches would work. The "lock" idiot light might interpret no connection to that door as an unlocked door, hence the light.

Same goes for the parking light switch. You can use the headlight switch to turn on the parking lights (one click for parking lights, two for headlights), but they'll go off when you turn the ignition off. Hit the parking light switch on the column, and the lights will stay on when the ignition is off.

Ah...I'm home :) Guys who know their stuff...and within an hour of my post too!

Thanks first off for responding so quickly and thoroughly.

Now, for the door hinge issue...I'll take a look into it. Since it requires little disassembly, why not, right?

As for the door lock indicator...I dont think I have power locks..there's only four window buttons on the driver's door. I do however have vaccuum locks...turn the driver's key and they all lock. I was trying to figure out if the DOOR LOCK was a reminder, but after locking all the doors, it was still on :( That made sense to me, a short was causing it to think it wasn't locked or something. I've seen that before (windshield washer fluid indicator on my Mitsu).

PS-So you guys are saying I can turn my headlights on and just leave them, and when I turn the car off, off go the lights? Cool :) I drive with my lights on no matter what time of day. Makes it safer...

You are welcome.

The power locks work via the normal dock lock lever.

Most GL models have them.

Try locking the drivers door from the inside

and trying one of the other doors,

and see if the light goes out.

The locks are electric BTW.

On the head lamps, good idea,

I leave them on to.

as

I don't want a Mister MagGoo

trashing my Roo

saying

"But I never saw you!!"

Aww look, you're a poet and didn't know it! oh!

I'll try locking the driver's door when inside. So they operate on the lever switch....veeeery interesting. I thought they were vaccuum operated, like the old volv-hos.

Lights on for safety! :D