Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ignition barrel removal 85 brat.

lets see if I can remember... I've done it before, but has also just swapped out entire columns... just to avoid this...

remove all the plastic around the column. about 6 screws from the underside.

remove steering wheel. an 85 will have 1 or 2 screws to remove from the back side for the horn button, then you sort of have to pry it off...

use a deep well 17mm socket to remove the steering wheel nut.

disconnect the plug for the multi-sw and caregully remove the multi-sw unit.

remove the 2 screws holding the IGN electrical switch to the back of the tumbler...

you should see a couple of tensioned cables with ball ends attached to the column, for the auto-spring of the tilt. you'll need to get ahold of the ball end without damaging it, and pull then free of the socket they sit in.

there should be 2 or 4 bolts (8 or 10mm) holding the tumbler to the column. remove those, and you should be able to pull the tumbler assembly off the column... be carefull, and make sure the roller needle bearings inside are still there (not stuck on the column).

inspect your replacement to make sure the needle bearing are intact, or you may need to transfer your old ones over....

install the replacement tumbler....

^what he said. Its not a walk in the park by any means but its not the hardest thing out there either. McBrat actually gave u a pretty good walk through of whats involved. There are 4 10 mm bolts holding the entire assembly on. I would disconnect the cables then remove the bolts. It will make your life easier. If you dont understand what McBrat said or what im saying you will once you get in there and start taking it apart.

he is talking about the tumbler, just the tumbler........

i have been trying too, and i cannot remember......nor get it out.i do not have time to call a locksmith.but that is the next step i believe.let me know whats up. and i think it is a pain, but not nearly as impossible as stated.....cheers, brian

Edited by monstaru

I don't remember pulling out the spring-tensioned ball thingies when I did mine.

To get the actual lock cylinder out, you need to drill out some pot metal. Search under threads started by me. GD gives a decent explanation of it.

Jacob