Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 Legacy sputters when accelerating, jumping

Seems to only happdn after driving 30 miles or so. After accelerating car jerks, feels like it is starved of fuel. I replaced fuel filter and air filter and it seemed to run great for a few days. But now the sputtering is continueing. Check engine light came on once also. the 93 Legacy has 140,000 miles. This is very sporatic, sometimes the car runs great, while others no so good. Please help my lady will be in tears for days if I cannot rectify this problem. jasonmoffatt@yahoo.com

go to my site, engine related and pull the engine codes to see what is stored in there.

Once you have the codes that showed up, clear the ECU, drive the car for a few days and see if the CEL comes back on. If it does, pull codes again and see which ones match up with before.

Originally posted by Legacy777

go to my site, engine related and pull the engine codes to see what is stored in there.

Once you have the codes that showed up, clear the ECU, drive the car for a few days and see if the CEL comes back on. If it does, pull codes again and see which ones match up with before.

I had this problem for a little while in my '91 - it turns out that one of my ignition wires was broken in it's insulation, and the warming of the engine bay was enough to make the insulation expand and seperate the wire. I changed the plug wires and had no problem after that.

I can see how changing the air filter and fuel filter may have helped a tiny bit, since it possibly could have made the engine run a few degrees cooler (not working as hard to make the same power) but it could have just been coincedence.

If it happens while you're on the road, pull into a parking lot and open the hood and listen for the "click" of the spark plug at each cylinder. If there's one that you don't hear, jiggle that wire and see if that helps, or pull it out of the little H-shaped ignition unit that has 1-2-3-4 on it and plug it back in.

If you live in a particurlarly humid or salty environment (New England, by the beach, Seattle, etc) then its possible that the distribution block has corrosion inside of it.

Alternatively, it may not be any sort of ignition problem at all and be a fuel delivery issue or something completely different.

I hope this helps!

-MR