Ultimate Subaru Message Board

T'sunami Wagon

T'subaru

Today I finished up my radiator install. Im going to be running a '93 ej20g and decided to go with the factory spec rad from a gen1 Legacy turbo. The core is 3"'s taller than the ea82 rad so I cut the corners at the lower core support, bolted 2 x 4 by 1/8 steel plates to the bottom of the support and modified ej top mounts to finish it off. I installed captive nuts ( rivit nuts ) on the upper core support, and had to trim the return off the top core support to install the radiator plum. Ill call this mod finished when I can get a mig and weld the bottom plates to the support and weld either flat or round stock strongbacks to the lower core support corners.

100_0677.jpg

100_0680.jpg

100_0683.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i want more pictures of your success...i wish i could do this kind of stuff but im not smart enough yet to do it......it makes me sad :(

there, i fixed that for you. :)

you are only 17, Dannoo - give it time, pay attention, watch and learn.

Start small and work your way up to the big stuff.

Things are lookin good T! cant wait to see some more. :)

Thanks heartless!

there, i fixed that for you. :)

you are only 17, Dannoo - give it time, pay attention, watch and learn.

Start small and work your way up to the big stuff.

Things are lookin good T! cant wait to see some more. :)

I spent most of the day trying to finish up my shift linkage. I received an ea82 5 speed shifter with the ej 5 speed i bought, it had been short shifted. My 4" lift just screwed with me, it was either the transtunnel boot holding me up, driveline clearance or the console. After a few in and outs, and a couple different anchor brackets I decided to dig out the gen 1 leg shifter I grabbed from a donor for my sons future rx ej conversion. I had tried buying a short shifter but no one references one for gen1 leg's, scooby mods offered to try to set me up with a kartboy by comparing dimensions, etc. In my search I ran across this post on rslibertyclub, its pretty messy but the important info is pulling the pivot ball and adding additional length. During a visit to GD's last summer I asked if he could short shift it for me. He must have had at least 4 different diameters of round stock, and said no prob. I had him add 1" below the pivot and man, I have 1 1/2 " travel at the knob from neutral to any gear, no boot or console issues other than the console boot, it gives me more resistance than I like so its soon to be leather. post-31758-136027648576_thumb.jpg

in neutral it sits centered in the console now:)...and I got grease on the seat:mad:

100_0684-1.jpg

Edited by T'subaru

G'day mark,

Got any pics of the mods done to the lower radiator support panel? All I can see is the stock lower rad panel, the gear used and some clippings of the upper support panel and then the finished product.

I'm just keen to see if your job is neater/easier/engineer friendly (something Ruby Scoo should have done as its legally required over here :() - also keen to see if its easier than what some of the boys have done over here...

Cheers

Bennie

G'day mark,

Got any pics of the mods done to the lower radiator support panel? All I can see is the stock lower rad panel, the gear used and some clippings of the upper support panel and then the finished product.

I'm just keen to see if your job is neater/easier/engineer friendly (something Ruby Scoo should have done as its legally required over here :() - also keen to see if its easier than what some of the boys have done over here...

Cheers

Bennie

Hi Bennie, the first pic shows the mods, the plates bolted to the botom of the lower support and also note the corner braces of the lower support, ive cut some of it out with a 4" angle grinder witha cut wheel.

Cheers sir

Hi Bennie' date=' the first pic shows the mods, the plates bolted to the botom of the lower support and also note the corner braces of the lower support, ive cut some of it out with a 4" angle grinder witha cut wheel.

Cheers sir[/quote']

Right! I couldn't see the forest for the trees! So the radiator will sit closer to the front of the engine. Should be neat none the less. Hopefully some fans will still fit behind there unless you're keen on mounting them out the front.

Cheers

Bennie

Right! I couldn't see the forest for the trees! So the radiator will sit closer to the front of the engine. Should be neat none the less. Hopefully some fans will still fit behind there unless you're keen on mounting them out the front.

Cheers

Bennie

I plan on running twin fans and a waic radiator in front Bennie. Most likely ill have to ditch the hood latch and go with hood pins.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the old girl ready for her donor harness. Ive removed everything that I wont be needing except the 4eat wiring and thats next. This is my first subi mod project, yes im a newb:grin:, and I found the wiring pretty intimidating at first but now im looking forward to the next project, just need to get this on on the road first:banana:

Can you say "sti halfcut?":)

100_0707.jpg

100_0705.jpg

Ive been studying here for almost 2 years..what could possibly go wrong?:rolleyes:

uh' date=' yeah, sure - what [i']could[/i] go wrong?? :grin: oh dear....what is that funny smell??? :lol:

just teasing - I am sure you will do fine - just take your time and triple check everything! ;)

You took the words right from my mouth heartless!!! Brave... and nutz! Good luck though! I surely envy your dedication and confidence! :banana:

uh, yeah, sure - what could go wrong?? :grin: oh dear....what is that funny smell??? :lol:

just teasing - I am sure you will do fine - just take your time and triple check everything! ;)

Thanks, im confident enough to finish up the harness well before the engines ready to drop in...I just hope momma didnt raise any dummies:eek:

• 11 months later...
How's this all coming together Mark? That wiring looks pretty neat to me! I've seen much worse than that!

Did you run the EJ's harness without removing the dashboard, if so, top effort!

Cheers

Bennie

Thanks Bennie,

Progress has been very slow since last summer. Mainly time and money issues along with some other projects mixed in. I plan on installing the harness without pulling the dash, the pics are of my tie-ins and all the unnecessary wiring I cut out of the wagon. Ive currently got the engine on a stand while replacing pumps, timing components and resealing. Once its installed Ill continue with the harness install. Im also in the process of tweaking some of my lift components too.

Ill be updating soon once I make some major progress.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...