Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone put 215/75-15's on 1st Gen Outback?

daredevil1166

I have 215/70-15 snow tires on my '96 OBW. They rub when cornering hard or going fast over rough roads. The 75-15s would rub a lot more, since they are almost an inch bigger in diameter.

Andy

I already have 215/70-15's.

My car is lifted. They don't rub.

How is the strut clearance on those? Cutting/rolling fenders is easy, but if it rubs the strut thats no good.

Clearance is ok. I'd say 1/4 inch between tire and strut in the rear. More in front.

I have KYB GR2's for struts, dont know if the diameter of the strut is the same as stock.

They don't rub at all.

I can't put tire chains on the rear though.

Well, that is a key piece of information you left out of your first post.

Not really. Like I said in my first post, I'm not interested in speculation as to wether this would work or not. I just wanted to know if anyone had done it.

Not really. Like I said in my first post, I'm not interested in speculation as to wether this would work or not. I just wanted to know if anyone had done it.

Well, your second post was basically useless then.

When I bought my 70-15s, I mounted one 75-15 and test fit it front and rear. It fit, but they would have rubbed at ever suspension movement, and snow/ice/mud clearance would have been extremely limited. I didn't drive the car with four of them mounted, but there was really no point in trying.

Andy

Edited by Andy FitzGibbon

So I was thinking completely different about rubbage here. I thought you were all talking about rubbing on the strut itself. I.e. tire being bigger and hitting the part of the strut where the spring sits. I know my buddy is getting pretty close on his struts of his OBS. But yeah, if you guys have fit 215 75s on your outback struts that makes me happy because then I know they will fit on my OBS :grin: