Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2000 Forester that I recently purchased. It has just over 92,000 miles. I was approaching a stop sign, going down hill. When I depressed the clutch pedal and tried to down shift, it would not come out of 3rd gear. I was able to make it home in 3rd but could not get it out of 3rd gear no matter what I did. The clutch seemed to be pretty touchy, but wasn't slipping. It was more difficult to pull out smoothly than some of the other standards that i've driven. Sometimes it didn't want to go into first gear approaching a stop. Any suggestions on how to get it out of 3rd gear or what mmight be wrong?

Can you get it out of gear once the engine is turned off? If you can't the transmission might be fudged.

It would be worth a shot to have a look at the linkage and make sure none of the bolts are falling out and have gotten jammed against the transmission case or heat shield.

Btt

you haven't answered any of the questions posed. we will only be guessing unless some one has had the exact same problem. and even then there could be more than one cause and solution.

can you shift it out of gear when it car is off.?

does the shifter move into other gear positions but the trans does not?

you mentioned trouble going into first, was that before it got stuck in third?

I believe there is a comedy forum already started at goFyourself.com... Grow a set and and either try and help out or don't chime in. The car is actually stuck in second gear. I have shut the engine off and tried to move the shifter to get the car out of 2nd gear but that didn't work. The shifter doesn't feel like it's in the proper location for 2nd gear. I haven't tried to really muscle the gear shifter for fear of causing further damage. The car's on the way to a used subaru repair facility that I trust. They seem to think that it could be a "roll pin". I will follow up with the official diagnosis when I get it.

Get a new car.

2000 Forrester with less than 100k?

Why on earth would he want to get a new car?

I mean Worst case scenario he could replace the Trans, the Clutch, The Master and Slave cylinders, and all the Shift Linkage bushings and joints and still be at a fraction of the cost of buying another equivalant subaru.

C'mon guys........I'll bet it's a really simple fix.

2000 Forrester with less than 100k?

Why on earth would he want to get a new car?

It's broken. Several people asked questions - he could not or would not answer them and simply bumped the thread to the top of the forum. Now he's taking it to a shop - which he could have done without even posting here. Thus we concluded that he needs to go get something with a warantee and stop bothering us.

GD

It's broken. Several people asked questions - he could not or would not answer them and simply bumped the thread to the top of the forum. Now he's taking it to a shop - which he could have done without even posting here. Thus we concluded that he needs to go get something with a warantee and stop bothering us.

GD

Actually if you reread the posts...Only one question was asked prior to me bringing the post back to the top. I appologise if I forgot to answer that question. I did try to shif the car out of 2nd gear with theengine off. That didn't work. I simply posted on here to get some insight as to what might be the problem or what i could do to get the car out of gear. SORRY TO BOTHER YOU WITH SUCH NONSENSE GD!!!

That's totally unneccesary, Amos & Buster. People were trying to help you within an hour of your original post. But communication is a two way street--it requires feedback to proceed.

A simple "thank you" would get you a lot farther than childish outbursts.

Good luck with your problem.

Not sure what childish outburts you were refering to but if the "get a new car" post is what you were refering to, then I totally agree...

Thanks to those who did provide positive feedback. As I said earlier, I will post the problem along with some of the things that may have occured prior to the transmission getting stuck in gear. I'm sorry to those who I may have offended but I don't see how a reply stating to "get a new car" is an acceptable post on this forum.

I'm sorry to those who I may have offended but I don't see how a reply stating to "get a new car" is an acceptable post on this forum.

I for one took no offense.

The response of "get a new car" is a tounge-in-cheek repsponse to your comical posting here. I don't wish to offend, but it should be pointed out that this is a place to come when you would like help from a DIY point of view. You don't seem to be willing and/or capable of taking advantage of the insight we may or may not have to offer regarding your problem and thus it seems pointless to spend my time trying to help you find the cause of a problem from your la-z-boy. You are taking it a shop and if they are reputable you will find the answer you seek - your money and not your time will be used in exchange for this answer. Thus it would seem that you have no need of us.

I'm simply calling it like I see it. I wish you a good day and I do hope you get your problem rectified. It seems to be frustrating you greatly and that was the only reason I agreed that you might want to consider a newer, under warantee automobile that will not be your problem if it fails to perform as expected.

GD

Maybe your linkage is screwed up. As for difficulting going into 1st coming to a stop... that's normal for a manual transmission. Try revving the engine with the clutch out and THEN depressing it to put it into gear. It gets things in the tranny "spinning" to keep up with the car as it is moving.

Several of us posted suggestions for your issue. Suggestions to which we received no reply other than "BTT" which implies, to me at least, that you paid no attention to, or simply ignored, said suggestions. Some of us don't particularly enjoy being ignored.

I'll accept your thanks for my suggestions. But I may still recommend you find a new vehicle, as the cost of having a shop install a used transmission, if it comes to that, will likely be greater than the value of the vehicle, despite it's aesthetic or mechanical conditions.

For your sake I do hope it's a simple linkage problem, not something more serious such as a bent or broken shift fork. Good luck getting your car fixed.