Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just got back from a 1500 mile road trip and I am sick of listening to the wind noise in our car. We have had it over a year and it has had wind noise since new. We took it to the dealer 7 months ago and complained and got some run around. We went back to the dealer yesterday and they said it was because we had our windshield replaced and it wasn’t sealed correctly. They resealed the windshield and said everything was fine. I pulled out of the dealership and as soon as it got up to 30 mph the noise started again. I turned around and went right back to the service department. They gave me a run around about the roof rack, cold weather…

One of the managers from the service department decided to go for a ride around the block with me. She immediately noticed the noise from the windows. It’s a constant wind (I know it’s a terrible description to just say wind, but that’s what it sounds like) leaking sound around both the drivers and passengers side windows. She could plainly hear the drivers side from the passenger seat (Drivers side is slightly worse and more constant). She didn't feel an air leak around the windows and neither do I but it’s hard to tell.

She explained that all cars with factory roof racks are loud some are just louder than others. I explained that we have a 99 obw with a factory roof rack and it is quiet. My brother-in-law has a 99 with factory rack and it is quiet, My father and mother-in-law both have 00 obw, and my uncle has an 04 h6 bean edition and they have factory roof racks and are all quiet. My uncle had a similar wind problem on his 01 and he finally traded it for the 04 because they could only fix it temporarily. She had no response other than saying it might not be anything they can fix.

For the money we paid for the car that isn’t a reasonable response, and we aren’t trading in any time soon. I’m not very picky and we have lived with it for a year, but my father (00 obw) mentioned on the road trip how loud our car was compared to his, and it’s one of those things we have just gotten used to until he pointed it out, now it seems to be all I listen to.

We scheduled an appointment for service and a loaner car early in March. I’ve heard about:

Roof Rack (I will remove bars tomorrow and see if it helps)

New door gaskets

Mirrors

Windshield (has been replaced but still made noise before and after replacement)

Speaker area, door handle area of the doors

Is there anything else I can look at, try, or have them try when I get the car serviced? Has anyone else solved their wind noise permanently?

Thanks

I've got the same noise on my '02.. took my awhile of pushing molding and stuff around but I finally found that the noise was coming from the inside (maybe outside too) of the mirror gussets.

Try pushing in the inside edge of the vertical piece of rubber where the mirror is attached too, and it should stop. Not sure if you got the tweeter kit on yours, but I've heard you can reseat that to make it tighter.

I'll be bringing mine in to see what they can do about it... I can deal with the roof-rack and the roof gutters, but that mirror howl sucks!

Oh yea, I also read (here) about putting silicone on the rubber seals, i'll be trying that when it get's a bit warmer..

Hope that helps..

We had 2 sets of door gaskets on our dirver's side and 1 on the passenger side, put on under warranty. Worked great for 6 months or so then the noise is back just as loud. Our MY95 Legacy is quieter on the highway than our OBW. Going in once more before the 36k is up to have them look it over. The last time it was remarked the the gussets were adjusted. It didn't really help much. It's all right by the tweeters at the front of the side windows.

well if it is anything like my 96 OBW it is NOT the roof rack, I have had both the factory and an thule basket rack on there and neither made a peep. Definitly take a good hard look at your mirrors as they are the most likely culprit. I have heard countless people with your problem, 99 out of 100 is the mirrors. Just hope your VIN plate dosent start rattling like mine did, that will really drive you up the wall;)

My 02 OBW LTD drove me crazy for the first 6 months with the wind noise that I could track down to the driver's window. Pushing out on the window seal where the tweeter attaches stopped the noise as long as I held my fingers on it. So I pulled the tweeter off, it just pulls straight out being careful of the very thin and short wiring to it. I then pushed/squeezed the seal with my hands to close up the opening that the glass slides into when fully closed. You'll feel that there is a steel centre to the seal that needs to be pushed towards the outside of the car a very small amount, in order to have the seal press more firmly against the glass. Push the tweeter back in and all done. It worked for me, cost nothing, frustration zero!

I would try placing some strips of duct tape around suspected areas that may be causing this problem. Since the mirror is suspect, tape over the joints of that. I would also tape over the door and window seals to see if that helps. Once you find the area that is causing this then you can try shimming the gasket, with some tape possibly under the gasket area to block the leak, or try a new seal.

The door panel should have a sealed dust shield barrier under it and there may be a leak there so you should check that also.

It is most definetly the gussets, which are the seals around the mirror attachments. My '96 started getting loud and I had them replaced. It stopped. My '92 Legacy has the noise bad, I just can't bring myself yet to paying the $300- $00 to get them fixed.

If you want I 'll try to find the exact price I was charged from the dealer. If I remember correctly, the parts were $120 a piece and the labor doubled the cost.

I try to avoid taking doors apart so I'm probably not the one to ask about do it yourself.

• 1 year later...

This is quite possibly WAAAAY outdated... considering the original posting date. Check the undercarriage area? I recently noticed a noise increase a month ago in my '99 Forester and a week ago my wife noticed something hanging down from underneath of the car. When we took a closer look we saw that a hard plastic cover had been ripped; as to when it was ripped, I know not. However, I believe this to be our noise source. Now I know that Foresters and Outbacks vary with respect to noise, at least with respect to '99's, however, I do not know if this will lead to the source of your particular noise.

As for this particular noise, anyone know where I could purchase a replacement part for this type of covering? It looks to be a hard plastic shell covering which is also insulated for the underside of the engine. I have looked on-line and it seems that no one has what I am seeking. It probably has a lot to do with terminology and using the correct 'search' words on-line.

Roll the window down, the triangle part where the mirror attaches to the door, squeeze the rubber gasket together on the vertical part where the windown travels through. This will solve the problem. And in the future, when you close the door, don't use the top of the window, it makes the window flex and open up that gap again, grab it a little lower or don't use the window at all to close the door.

As for this particular noise, anyone know where I could purchase a replacement part for this type of covering? It looks to be a hard plastic shell covering which is also insulated for the underside of the engine. I have looked on-line and it seems that no one has what I am seeking. It probably has a lot to do with terminology and using the correct 'search' words on-line.

Sounds like you need a skid plate, or a sump gaurd.... i you like playing w/ metal that's the way i would go :drunk: