Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ25 -> EJ22 vacuum problems with pics

The pics pretty much spell it all out. The part on the fender I'm pointing out is also on the EJ22 cars, but it comes from a different place than my EJ25 did - I don't know where. Will not having that solenoid where #1 and #4 meet (under the manifold) on the EJ22 screw things up? The vac line is one thing, but on the EJ25 its also plugged into something that the ECU expects to be there. It won't be there once the EJ22 is in. I'm concerned.

photo1.jpg

Photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpgphoto5.jpg

you have 2 vacuum lines and need 3 on the EJ22 right?

One option is to get a T fitting at any auto parts store and split one of the EJ22's 2 vacuum ports and then you have 3 vacuum supplies.

now that you mention it I've run into this before. I found plugged up ports elsewhere on the intake. they'd have a small square plug in the unused hole. remove that plug and then install a nipple in it's place to attach a vacuum line too. your old EJ25 intake might even have one of those nipples you can use somewhere in it, that's where I got mine from - other intake manifolds.

either way you just need vacuum so it's really simple, just create as many vacuum supplies as you need and retain your "EJ25" set up. i mean, i tend to go the other way but i don't care about the check engine light. install the solenoid from the Ej25 onto your EJ22....can't think of what it is though, seems like the EJ22 should have it?

i can't recall what the components were that i've had to create vacuum lines for. actually i think i've even had to do it for straight EJ25-Ej25 swaps - like a minor 96-97 difference or something?

I'd like to use my EJ25 throttle body if I can ...its MUCH cleaner. Is this possible? If so, can I just run the vacuum line (going away from the BPT) to the solenoid on the fender.

This sucks - I can turn a wrench, but I don't know jack about vacuum systems

Dont' let vacuum scare you, it's REALLY simple. Solenoids need a vacuum to work, meaning they just need a hose going to the intake, it's that simple. It's not complicated at all, just a get hose from said device to the intake via another port, the throttle body, a "T" fitting, etc.

I've never swapped the throttle bodies so I don't know if they interchange. I think someone mentioned it before but not sure if they were guessing or knew for sure.

Personally I'd avoid that since the throttle sensors might differ or require adjusting after doing it. Not a big deal, but A vacuum T is simple and works.

Okay, I see the square plug port that I used on your picture. See the first EJ22 pic you posted, on the top left area, on that rear passengers side intake runner is a square headed "screw" in plug bolt. I removed that and install a screw in nipple to use as additional vacuum line.

You just need a nipple to install in there. I'd imagine there's one somewhere on the EJ25 intake, look all over it, all around and under the throttle body, etc for a nipple to screw into that port.

Or post on here for someone to send you one? I can probably come up with one, I have a few engines lying around.

Dont' let vacuum scare you, it's REALLY simple. Solenoids need a vacuum to work, meaning they just need a hose going to the intake, it's that simple. It's not complicated at all, just a get hose from said device to the intake via another port, the throttle body, a "T" fitting, etc.

I've never swapped the throttle bodies so I don't know if they interchange. I think someone mentioned it before but not sure if they were guessing or knew for sure.

Personally I'd avoid that since the throttle sensors might differ or require adjusting after doing it. Not a big deal, but A vacuum T is simple and works.

That makes far more sense. My initial concern was that the part on the fender (or under the manifold on the EJ25) monitored vacuum or were only supposed to get vacuum at certain times. If I can run a T-fitting from another vac line to the fender, I'm all over it.

there are 3 vac lines in the second picture, 2 going to the right (in the pic) and one lower that comes off of the intake, not the throttle body, going to the left and under the throttle body next to the pcv. where does that one go??

Edited by johnceggleston

there are 3 vac lines in the second picture, 2 going to the right (in the pic) and one lower that comes off of the intake, not the throttle body, going to the left and under the throttle body next to the pcv. where does that one go??

Goes to the Evap purge solenoid. Which is normally well hidden under the passenger intake runners.

You don't need anything else, you have everything you need right there. You might have to steal the solenoid from your 25 if it's not under there, but that's about it.

The line off to the left side of the 22 pic with the yellowish plastic thing connects to the switching solenoid on the passenger strut tower.

If you're worried about looks, most of that grey corrosion on the intake and TB should come off with a wire brush. Shoot it with some good silver high temp paint after that to seal it and prevent further corrosion.

Edited by Fairtax4me

I think you nailed it.

John - I didn't even notice that 3rd vac line on top of the intake. On the 25, theres a cap in the same spot. It does go to the solenoid buried under the runner. However, the same solenoid on my 25 solenoid appears to have another line (#4) that goes to the switch on the strut tower. I found a pic I took of my 22 in its donor car and there looks to be only one vac line going to the switch on the tower. On the EJ25 pic, the side shot that has the brass nipple with no line on it - thats where the line was that had that inline yellow plastic round thing. I moved that line to the 22 motor because its in much better condition (hence not in photo).

From what I'm deducting, it looks like I'm just going to steal the solenoid off the 25 so I get that #4 line going to the switch