Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 2.5 damaged cam bearing cap advice needed

I was pulling heads on a 98 Outback and stripped one of the heads (10mm) of one of the cam bearing cap bolts. Even though I was using a 6 point socket, it got completely rounded. Vice grip didn't help either....and that was with a new pair of genuine Vice Grips, not Chinese knock-offs.

Anyway, I then Dremeled the head off the bolt...I got a little carried away and ground some of the bearing cap off.

Should I try and make it flat and reuse the same cap? or get the same position bearing cap from a same year/model engine and use it?

Anyone been in this situation before? What did you do? Is your engine still running well? Photos here:

IMG_9631.jpg

IMG_9633.jpg

IMG_9635.jpg

Then the caps must be machined while bolted to the head, and as such can only be sold with the head. Otherwise they won't fit.

I suppose you'll have to try and get it as close to flat as you can, and get a new bolt(assuming Subaru will sell the bolts separate). I wonder if a machine shop would be able to cut it down perfectly flat?

Just hand file it flat and replace the bolt. It will be fine. If you notice - the bolt surfaces are not factory machined. They appear to be die-cast. It doesn't have to be that flat but it should be uniform and "by eye" flat. That will suffice.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder