Ultimate Subaru Message Board

That's bizarre with the filter. Looks like one set was routed a bit different than the other? Nice pictures for reference guys!

A bunch of us don't run timing covers, no need to. I don't leave them on any of my cars except the one with a chain.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured water getting on the idler pulleys would be an issue.

No not really, they are somewhat sealed (Dubble race style) plus you can always spray a little Oil into them. Makes doing a Timing belt loads quicker, no need to remove the Crank pully :banana:

I figured water getting on the idler pulleys would be an issue.
i'm sure if you let it sit for long periods of time rust might ensue. but i drive a lot. the pulleys do get "more rusted" then when they're covered but it's on the unused portion of the pulleys so it doesn't matter, the translating surface of the belt stays perfectly smooth. unless they're in great condition i replace them at every timing belt change. $80 for an entire set of new ones on ebay makes it an easy decision and like he said makes for quick timing belt changes.

I have to take my timing belt off again anyways since I never got to do the cam seals.. but now that I have air tools :D

they are leaking like crazy... between the two cams and my oil separator plate I need to check my oil every 10 days.

Yep, I agree with Gary on that. Just like anything on the engine - if you let it sit, it'll rust or corrode. But driving it I wouldn't worry to much, Only thing I would think about is small rocks or sticks entering the timing belts path (But thats very un-common) I've never had an issue yet, I run my EA82 Coverless too :grin:

Its not the belts, its the pulleys that get ruined by water.

That's why I was wondering.. I used all new pulleys and sometimes they squeak at idle and sometimes not.. I don't know if I would really describe it as a squeak however.

May not be your timing pulleys. Right before one of my pulleys let go half way between Seattle and Michigan it felt like I had adjustable timing, seemed like every 10 miles or so I lost 20 horsepower, and then gained it back after a few more miles. It was really weird.

Squeaky is one thing, but when your pullys start to sound like Skate board wheels, then its time to replace them. The Squeak could be coming from the Surpantine belt pully/tensioner. Still nothing to worry about. As long as they feel smooth (Without belt on) and don't have alot fo play you will be fine. My EA82 and the EJ22 both have a little play in the tensioners and nothing bad has happend. And I rev at 3400rpm at freeway speeds. 4100rpm if I push it up to 80mph in the EA82.

Hey TheLoyale I noticed when you took the stock headers off you took the cat off too.. haha.. I did not do that on mine however the bolt was so rusted it took me almost 30 min to cut it off (I only had a dremel back then) it sucked.. next time I cut something like under the car I'm going to have my goggles on.. metal shot all in my face.

Nevertheless its good.. I have a rattle but the rattle is the cat and the center pipe as it's not bolted in because that bolt snapped.

Since I had the car I snapped about 10 bolts already.

I think I need a screw extractor?

I got a P0420 when I first installed the header on my 2.5RS but it hasn't returned after I cleared the codes last week.

Yep, just got this today. Its the "Catalyst error code" P0420. So I erased it and we'll see what happens. I think the system needs time to adjust to the different emissions that the header is causing.

I think its the emissions system needs to catch up and adjust, cause this new more UEL header is going to change the emissions status. Hoping it doesn't come back (I'll just pull the Engine light bulb if so LOL!)

Edited by TheLoyale

In WI, they don't test anything older then '95 (Due to them no being OBD-II compliant) BUT my car is OBD-II compliant, so its kinda funny Haha..

But anything '95 or older they don't test. Thats why I took this one instead of the '96 Fox picked up.

My code scanner has been a big help it does live data too.

man the day my car got flooded in rain the ECU got wet..

Long story short I was throwing so many codes it was crazy.. I had to pull the ECU, ABS computer and the carpet to dry it all.. it's sill amazing I saved it all.