Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 vs EJ22 with 1.8 heads for my 93 IMP

Im putting the 2.2 in my 1993 Impreza. So i am wondering who has done this? and does it work fine putting the EJ18 heads and intake on top of the EJ22? Im just looking to get better compression and better power out of a EJ22. I am planning on new timing belt kit, water pump, JDM racing lightweight flywheel, stage 1 clutch, cold air intake and open exhaust.

Any info is very appriciated.

• 3 months later...

I have always heard rumor about 1.8 heads having higher compression......but I think it's just that....rumor.

I've examined the heads, and I cannot find any differences in head design, shape, or quench area. Pretty sure they are the same heads (1.8 heads have EGR port drilled)

I would say just swap the EJ18 intake onto the 2.2 and go with it. I doubt you will notice any difference other than a lighter pocket book from swapping the heads.

I was told second hand that head shops have to label the 1.8 heads to distinguish them since they are virtually identical to 2.2 heads.

Also - lots of people have used both for the Frankenmotor build (EJ18 and EJ22 both being common Impreza engines), and there seems to be no difference in how they run.

Everything I've read points to them being basically the same casting (as well as 22T heads). I wouldn't worry about it at all.

GD

Ok, read up on that thread... Didnt actually find any info pertaining to simply using a ej25dohc block with my ej18 heads, seems like it should b ok, but i know that the ej25dohc blocks are of course interference so im trying to see if it will be straightforward bolt up or if its a guts job. any insight is awesome and makes you a crunchy subaru guru hahahaha

Ok, read up on that thread... Didnt actually find any info pertaining to simply using a ej25dohc block with my ej18 heads, seems like it should b ok, but i know that the ej25dohc blocks are of course interference so im trying to see if it will be straightforward bolt up or if its a guts job. any insight is awesome and makes you a crunchy subaru guru hahahaha

I'm no guru, but I'll take some Slow Elk:-) Your question is covered in that thread, and a member here did that swap. You can find it by searching for "Frankenstein" here, I bet. It was in an Outback Sport, I think.

Jacob