Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 mpfi build

PS have 4 ea81 turbo long blocks and 12 crank and rod assemblys from ea81 saved for the airplane guys

You wouldn't happen to be keen to send a set of matching heads my way would you (Oz)?  The only problem I can see is that this project is about being a tight arse, I hope I don't offend if they are offered and I turn them down due to the cost.

Regards

Bennie

You wouldn't happen to be keen to send a set of matching heads my way would you (Oz)?  The only problem I can see is that this project is about being a tight arse, I hope I don't offend if they are offered and I turn them down due to the cost.

Regards

Bennie

you probably want a set that have been rebuilt and refurfaced because there might not be the parts to fix them over there in oz (if i remember right the valves are bigger for the turbos than the non-turbos). ivan might be able to do that for you, it costed $240 to get mine redone 6 months ago. not to scare you away or anything but the ea81t heads have cracking problems in between the vavles which isn't repairable and once it gets to a surten piont it will run rough and have low compression.

I tried this ea 81 build 3 years ago and yes it worked for awhile then the heads cracked again

And I was not willing to have them welded again so, I swapped it for a na xt engine

Did the MPFI EA81 go well?  

And why did you drop an EA82 in there?  That's a backwards step in my book!

Cheers

Bennie

No worries, I've been trolling Google images and have found a few good ones.  But if you could still take those pics and get those measurements that would be awesome help in working out what I'm going to do.

Been looking for injector bosses but can't find anything that looks like it would suit my needs.

Cheers

Bennie

Bennie have a look at this link I find it hard to Imagine but it seems because aftermarket Fuel Injection ECU's really started in Australia as a user friendly upgrade option for Import engine retrofits that we also seem to have developed most of the needed hardware instead of the good ol US of A,Anyhow with Fedex USPS or our equivalent Australia Post small lightweight item s such as this surely would be affordable to post OS.

Full range of whatever you need is available ex Australia.This link is just one of many suppliers out here,Remember Haltech,Motec,Wolf 3D,Adaptronic,Link,EMS ,BlackBox (A Friend of Mine ) are all Aussie or in Links case NZ manufacturers and leaders in aftermarket EFI that basically started the affordable aftermarket EFI conversion industry wheras in the US you had Electramotive costing 50K plus for a full race system and until Haltech set up shop in Texas little other options.

One of many suppliers.

http://www.efihardware.com/products/c86/Injector-Mounts-and-Bosses

I built a few solid lifter ea81 turbo engines still have 3 long blocks kicken all rod knocking but no cracked heads. Also noticed that your heads have had the spark plugs rethreaded with inserts make shure there is no leakage around the inserts

Use of German Wurth Timeserts with their design will never leak as they are a solid insert with a proper retaining flange at the top to guarantee sealing they are available over in the US and likely Canada and a phone call to the local rep will either purchase them (Bloody Expensive I have 8 sets in different sizes an investment of Thousands of Dollars) or the rep can tell you who in your area has a kit in the size needed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFhzMRmbeCI

The above explains how Timeserts are made installed and work they are the best this side of something totally custom

Bennie have a look at this link I find it hard to Imagine but it seems because aftermarket Fuel Injection ECU's really started in Australia as a user friendly upgrade option for Import engine retrofits that we also seem to have developed most of the needed hardware instead of the good ol US of A,Anyhow with Fedex USPS or our equivalent Australia Post small lightweight item s such as this surely would be affordable to post OS.

Full range of whatever you need is available ex Australia.This link is just one of many suppliers out here,Remember Haltech,Motec,Wolf 3D,Adaptronic,Link,EMS ,BlackBox (A Friend of Mine ) are all Aussie or in Links case NZ manufacturers and leaders in aftermarket EFI that basically started the affordable aftermarket EFI conversion industry wheras in the US you had Electramotive costing 50K plus for a full race system and until Haltech set up shop in Texas little other options.

One of many suppliers.

http://www.efihardware.com/products/c86/Injector-Mounts-and-Bosses

Thanks Coxy,

I'm in Oz!  I'm not after all out power, just something to tinker with and create something a bit different - I'm sure the MPFI system will be better than a stock carb setup - that and I'm going to do this cheaply using parts I already have.   An adaptor will need to be made for the throttle body and some custom fuel lines etc - it shouldn't be too hard, just time and some fun.

The aim is also to be quickly reversible if needed to go back to the carb setup - just in case!

A mate got me onto that supplier, seems pretty reasonable I reckon.  Anyway, I'm looking forward to his as it should be a good bit of fun and hopefully a good economical little runner at the end of the day!

Cheers

Bennie

• 2 months later...

4 differnt heads 80-82 extra two bolts on bottom side small valves. The 82-84 nohydro small valves no bolts on bottom 83-88 large valves from chaser no bottom bolts. And the 83-85 ea81 T with injector holes and big valves no bottom bolts theese ones were bad for cracking and geting cooked. I do have some of all of these heads but geting rarer

• 3 months later...

2003 and up is your problem - those are crap.

Get yourself a 90 to 94 EJ22 for the car. Trust me - it's a much better swap and the early EJ22 doesn't have the problems of the later EJ's. They cost-cut them to oblivion in '95+ cars. Even the EJ22 suffered in some ways. The original EJ22 design is yet to be surpassed by later generations of the EJ engine. It's a high-water mark for the Subaru brand in general.

I would argue that the EJ22 is just as reliable as the EA81. And the benefits are worth the little bit of trouble to do timing belts now and then. Plus they are totally easy to do belts on.

GD

I realize this is old but GD, could you please tell me if you still feel 03 and up are crap? I'm shopping for an STI donor, 2.0. I have found some 02s but they don't seem to have anything special in the brakes dept. Thanks.

I wouldn't say this thread is old...  I'm yet to get the stock EA81 going - then I'll mess around with the MPFI setup.

Does anyone know if the crank pulley on the EA81T is a direct swap with an EA82 unit?  I'm thinking it's not as the EA81 crank pulley from memory also runs on the oil seal...  I'm keen to get my hands onto one of these and the bracket set for the EA82 AC/alternator setup - or does the stock EA82 unit bolt straight on?

More questions!

Cheers

Bennie