Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gen2 brat waterpump replacement?

Originally posted by rallyruss

I recomend doing the little hose to the heater pipe at the same time.

also a good time to do T belts if they are due for changing. otherwise its not too bad.

and yeah nice brat.;)

Good luck changing the T-belt on a Brat.:D It is simple compared to an EA-82. I'd say nice brat as well but no pic showed up on my stinky computer but I'll trust the others have already swelled your head enough to do the job.

Very easy job. 5 bolts with 10mm heads hold the pump to the block. Replacement of the heater hose is a good idea. Word of caution, when buying the new waterpump make sure you get one that has a cast impeller. The ones that look like an alternator cooling fan are prone to overheating the engine. For some reason unknown to me they do not flow as well as the cast ones. I have replaced a few that have had overheating issues have had this type of waterpump.

Oh yeah, no timing belts on the EA81.

I am on dial up and connected at 46 and the pic was up by the time I scrolled there. Real fast, no probs. Anyway, H20 pump really easy, do yourself a favor and replace the hose like stated earlier and just my personal technique, replace the thermostat too at the same time since you are gonna have coolant loss. I suggest PepBoys 160 degree. Works great. No condensation issues like stated in EA performance page. I never had a problem when I did mine.