Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just a thought

Uberoo

What is needed to drive a coil pack from an EJ car?Could one be driven off a hall effect sensor used with SPFI?

it is my understanding that a hall effect sensor can work under water as can an EJ coil pack.

with an older offroad rig with a distributor,if the distributor gets wet the car wont work because the water interferes with the rotors ability to deliver spark to the individual terminals.

would it be possible to drive a EJ coilpack without the computer?I know the EJ's use a cam angle sensor to tell the position of the engine..

I know the EJ coil packs have three wires.So does that mean there is 12V,ground,and signal. which would mean that it fires all four terminals at once.

or is it 12V, 1/3,2/4 and then grounded through the engine?

Edited by Uberoo

What is needed to drive a coil pack from an EJ car?Could one be driven off a hall effect sensor used with SPFI?

it is my understanding that a hall effect sensor can work under water as can an EJ coil pack.

with an older offroad rig with a distributor,if the distributor gets wet the car wont work because the water interferes with the rotors ability to deliver spark to the individual terminals.

would it be possible to drive a EJ coilpack without the computer?I know the EJ's use a cam angle sensor to tell the position of the engine..

I know the EJ coil packs have three wires.So does that mean there is 12V,ground,and signal. which would mean that it fires all four terminals at once.

or is it 12V, 1/3,2/4 and then grounded through the engine?

I'd caution against using it for what you have in mind. The coilpack may be fine underwater, but the ignitor that hooks to it can fail if it gets wet. Mine did on my EJ-swapped Brat, so I put it inside by the ECU. I'm not trying to discourage you, but from what I saw, EJ stuff is not totally waterproof. It could have been a fluke, though.

Jacob

You could try fitting the complete EDIS-4 system, it will work on it's own without signal from any management system and will have a decent ignition curve.

Your biggest problem is going to fit the trigger wheel to the crank, but it can be done.

EDIS can and has been adapted to EA82's. There was a guy a few years back that did exactly that with an EA82T in a gen 1 Brat. He ran the early megasquirt that didn't do ignition control and used the EDIS for the ignition control. He still used the distributor though for the cam sensor input to the ECU.

Unfortunately you lack the understanding to see that it is the computer that drives the spark control on the EJ's and not the coil pack. The coil pack is simply two distinct coils in one package. The SPFI does do ignition control but as it has only a single ignition driver circuit it cannot control the wasted-spark style coil pack that is used on the EJ's. You need two driver circuits and associated software to do that - which the SPFI does not have. You cannot get away from the distributor unless you fit a cam and crank sensor and move to something like MS.

GD