Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy Catalytic Convertor similar for 2.2 and 2.5?

Hey Guys

Have an 96 Legacy Outback 2.2

Cat from an 2.5 available new

Interchangable?

Hope one or some of you guys might shed some light on catalytic converters fit/compatability from an 96 Legacy Outback 2.2 to an 2.5..

Have one available cheap that is from an 2.5 engine, looks same, I know have to modify with adding a flange and probably extending second cat wire to reach front....or possibly drill a second sensor hole in first cat, have my brother weld mounting for sensor

Guess what am asking is if anyone ever did a swap that worked, even see foresters cats available...just go against my grain to pay for a new one...

Thanks Guys

Ive done it its pretty straight forward. If you use a 2000 or later one you will need to route the rear o2 sensor wire forward to the back of the front cat by looping it over the trans in the tunnel and it will reach.

Thanks to all that have responded...This board is full of Good people and Mechanics with knowledge that helps in situations like this.

Based upon information given here, going to purchase and get my Soobie back on road, hopefully this week.

Again, Thanks Guys, Have a Safe and Enjoyable Summer!!