Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 Outback

I had to pull the knuckle to get the lower ball joint pressed out (rusted in there big time). While at the shop they pressed out my hub a bit to get to the ball joint then forgot to press the hub back in completely (about 1/2" out). the desk guy tried to tell me the bearing was bad but I knew it was fine when I dropped it off. He said fine he would replace the bearing at no charge. He then took the knuckle back into the shop and the mechanic came out said the bearing was fine and tried to tell me to put the knuckle on the car and 'pull" the hub on with the axle nut :eek:. I said not acceptable I can't believe you would even suggest that. Then he said he would press the hub back into the knuckle. When they returned it to me it seemed ok but there's a tiny bit of play in the hub and I don't know if that was normal or not I mean it's very minute the amount of play but I did want to check here with you guys before I go through the work of putting the car back together. They also said if I had any problems to bring it back. lol. Like it's a 5 minute job. :rolleyes:

The seal looked okay. Is there any problem with pressing out the hub a bit and then pressing it back in again? Is there any amount of play within tolerance?

the play might not be a concern, or they may not be to fault anyway. i've gotten freshly pressed/grease new bearings back and they have a little bit of play in them. i think i even posted about it the first time i did it and folks said it was normal. those hubs never gave me issues (i did both at the same time).

that being said, Subaru hubs are easily tweaked and problematic. so i'd think there's a small chance of incurring problems in the future, mostly because EJ wheel bearings just suck like that in general, not so much that they pressed it out and in...guess that's just a matter of oppinion though, they shoudln't have pressed the bearings and suck to get the ball joint out, but hey they're good at what they do usually so i hate to point fingers.

i'd be comfortable giving it a whirl and installing based on what i'm hearing. i'd hpe there's not much contamination in the bearings, like dirt and debris down in there.

gg,

Yeah I wasn't pleased that they even messed with the hub but the guy said he needed a little space to work on the BJ. I'll also pull the other front tire and see how the hubs compare and then again when fully assembled.

Hopefully no dirt got in there while it was pressed out. It does rotate smoothly.

Thanks as always gg.

seems like they should have just pressed it back for you rather than "tighten it up yourself". but hopefully you're good to go from here. luckily these thigns don't just "blow up" and typically give lots of signs. i've put 20,000 miles on bad bearings, so you get plenty of warning and time to prepare.

It is my opinion, based on a lot of bearing work over the years, that there is no way to press out a hub and then press it back in that will not incur potential damage to the bearings. Anytime press force is transmitted through the rolling elements of the bearings you incur potential for damage. There are cases where the design of the bearing and bearing pocket, etc have enough clearance that it can be done but that is NOT the case with Subaru wheel bearings. The force needed to dislodge the hub from the bearing inner race is considereable and can only be done by using the bearing as your press adaptor... thus transmitting the full tonnage of the press through the rolling elements of the inner bearing. That is BAD and anytime a Subaru wheel bearing must be pressed out it should ALWAYS be replaced. There is no grey area here. You cannot remove a Subaru wheel bearing component without replacing them - it is not done and it should not be done. Any dealer will tell you the same.

Find another shop - those guys are amatures.

GD

• 3 weeks later...

Well I did reassemble the car and it drives fine. It's quiet, no noise or vibration. They probably shortened the life of the bearing but it's not a daily driver so hopefully I get a couple of years out of it.

Thanks fella's.

I was done with them the minute the manager tried to tell me the bearing was bad as if I had no idea of it's condition beforehand. Bet the pull that trick on many a customer.

I should print out the post and show them. :lol: