Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got a box in the mail today, very exciting. Crossbred Performance 5 lug kit

I am about to open a box I have been dreaming about receiving for about 2 years now. Finally got all the details figured out and my wagon will go under the knife next month. I have lots of parts to obtain now.

This will be the first one of these kits on US Soil and RetroRoo/me will be the USA vendor for these. Still working on pricing for them and how to deal with currency changes, shipping and a possible large shipment eventually. I think we have most of the details worked out.

This makes your 4 lug car a 5 lug car with rear e-brakes and all Subaru Impreza/Legacy parts.

These might seem expensive until you consider the cost of Peugeot Wheels, safety, rear disc swap you are probably already thinking of buying, and piece of mind. I think a friend of mine might still have his hatchback today if he had these brakes instead of 25 year old tiny ea81 brakes. The car had the awesome big tires, lift kit, new radiator, disc brake swap, the works but it couldn't stop itself like a normal car. Most of us already spend around $100 (if not more) to get disc brakes from a Turbo Ea82 car and these are getting harder to find. XT6 even more difficult. When you do find them they are 20 year old parts and at times very rusty, maybe not even possible to get off at the junkyard. Lots more availablity at the parts store for pads, rotors, calipers and rebuild kits.....aftermarket Hawk pads and such.....yes I am excited.

Photos will be coming of course. To me this is an epic day I know the swap has been possible for a while now but not as a professional, complete kit. Feels like the days when the first BYB lift kit came over from Brett.

So just to be clear - this is for EA81's? Or do they make kits for EA82's as well?

Very cool! Nice to see there is someone out there getting parts made up for the older stuff.

Pics?

What's the ballpark price on a full kit ($250, $500, $1000?), and what parts have to be obtained from the junk yard? Does it retain the EA axles or does it go to EJ/hybrid stuff?

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

So just to be clear - this is for EA81's? Or do they make kits for EA82's as well?

Very cool! Nice to see there is someone out there getting parts made up for the older stuff.

Pics?

What's the ballpark price on a full kit ($250, $500, $1000?), and what parts have to be obtained from the junk yard? Does it retain the EA axles or does it go to EJ/hybrid stuff?

GD

Its for ea81 and ea82 type vehicles.

Working on keeping it at or around $1000 but no huge promises. When you see the machining and pieces in the kit you will understand why. Also going to have to send core pieces back in the form of the original control arms, and backing plates so he can make them without a bunch of trips to the salvage yard.

Heres the kit info page from CrossBredPerformance.com

http://www.crossbredperformance.com/kit-info

I love that I won't have a single 13" 4x140 wheel around here anymore. Well, after I sell the 12 sets I have.

Its for ea81 and ea82 type vehicles.

Working on keeping it at or around $1000. When you see the machining and pieces in the kit you will understand why. Also going to have to send core pieces back in the form of the original control arms, and backing plates so he can make them without a bunch of trips to the salvage yard.

Heres the kit info page from CrossBredPerformance.com

http://www.crossbredperformance.com/kit-info

I love that I won't have a single 13" 4x140 wheel around here anymore.

Oh man, subscribed:slobber:

Looking at the "What else do I need for my installation?" part of his website, it looks like you need a bunch of EJ parts still. What's the benefit of this over how people normally do the 5-lug swap on the front? I definitely see the appeal of the kit for doing the rear.

Jacob

And it looks like you still need to have axles made? It looks that ea81 axles are needed with Legacy outers? Thats the hardest/most involved part of the swap on ea81's for sure, in my opinion.

Ill be sourcing those thru Marshall with MWE axles.

Sweet dude! I will have to come by and see.:)

Absolutely! In fact any locals that want to come see it in person come see it in person before installation. PM for a phone number/address if you don't already have them.

Of course call before coming too. Needed to be said after all the idiots on craigslist that have called asking for an address and then complained when I wasn't home. 4 in 5 years isn't that many but enough to be annoyed and laugh.

• 6 months later...

Im about 30% done! Most of the work I have had to do was removing the old lift kit that I don't like anymore.

Looks like I could put a kit on a car in a 10 hour day now that I have done it once. Quite a bit less if the Legacy Booster swap was skipped. I think it will be worth it to have, just eyeballing the Ea81 booster vs the legacy one its obviously 1" or more in diameter bigger and a lot more volume front to back too. Nice to be able to use the Legacy booster hose with its check valve on my 2.2 swap engine as well.

Im about 30% done! Most of the work I have had to do was removing the old lift kit that I don't like anymore.

Looks like I could put a kit on a car in a 10 hour day now that I have done it once. Quite a bit less if the Legacy Booster swap was skipped. I think it will be worth it to have, just eyeballing the Ea81 booster vs the legacy one its obviously 1" or more in diameter bigger and a lot more volume front to back too. Nice to be able to use the Legacy booster hose with its check valve on my 2.2 swap engine as well.

I'm glad I'm subscribed to this because I'm interested in the booster swap. I looked into it many months ago, but I couldn't find any good info.

Jacob

• 2 months later...

The booster swap isn't too bad. I had to modify the gas pedal to move where the cable comes thru the firewall, and weld the end of the brake booster nut to another one. The cable has to be moved to the right because the bigger booster covers the throttle cable hole. I also had to bend the brake line that goes over the top edge of the booster and have flex lines made to go from the bottom of the master cylinder to the distribution block below the booster. All in all, I have now done it and could do the fix in under an hour but it fought me for over a day the first go around.

IMG_20101221_182148.jpg

• 1 month later...